Binding Your Book Block Using the Fastback 25 Photobook Binder
The Fastback 25 Photobook binder is a brand new binding machine that is designed to work as part of the Fastback Photobook workcell. When used in conjunction with the Powis Splitter, the Fastback 25 can make a high quality hardcover or photobook in around a minute. This article will discuss the process for using the Fastback-25 photobook binder to bind the book block after you have processed your pages with the edge splitter.
1. Turn the Power Switch "ON. " The Power Switch is located in the lower left on the front of the binder. Once switched on, the Fastback Model 25 Photobook binder takes about ten minutes to warm up. When it's ready, the display reads "READY TO BIND. " While the machine warms up you can work on assembling your documents, get your hard covers ready or can even begin splitting the edges on some of your books.
2. Prepare your glossy coated paper using the Fastback Splitter to ensure a strong bind. This will allow the thermal adhesive from your strip to bond with the paper fibers from your printed pages and will give you a strong StitchFree bond.
3. Before inserting your book block into the binder, add the folded endleaves to the front and back of the book block. The windowed endleaf should align with the photo on the first page of the book block. Make sure all the sheets and endleaves in your document are aligned by firmly jogging them on any flat surface. When the book block is ready, put your book block inside the binder, sliding it all the way to the RIGHT side of the opening. Tap the pages again until you're sure they're straight and all the pages are tapped down. If you notice your sheets and endleaves aren't perfectly straight, now is the time to fix them. Press the OPEN button to unclamp your document, then re-align the pages. When you're done, press the BIND button.
4. Now press the green BIND button. The book clamps close and the display indicates the correct strip width for your book.
5. Select the PhotoPro binding strip of the desired width. Make sure the strip length matches the document's spine length. Fastback PhotoPro binding strips are designed specifically for use with the FB25 and the edge splitter. The adhesive in these strips will work together with the edge splitting process to produce a superior binding strength that is needed for frequenly used hard cover documents. If you want to bind a book that has an unusual length, you may hand cut a the strip to match that document's length. However, it is very important that when you insert the strip in the binder, you insert the side with the adhesive gap first to avoid adhesive leakage into the machine. For production quantities of books it is always recommended that you purchase strip manufactured to the correct length.
6. Insert the strip into Strip Feed on right side of binder.
7. When the binding is complete (approximately 35-45 seconds), the clamps open to release the document. The display reads, "REMOVE BOOK."
8. Remove your bound document, and place it in the cooling rack for at least four minutes (figure 9). Stack the finished book blocks up to 4-5 books high, setting the most recently bound book blocks to the rear of the stack. Letting your book cool allows the adhesive to set and ensures a strong bind.
After you have bound the book block using your Fastback 25 Photobook Binding machine you will now be ready to assemble your hard cover. For best results you will want to use the Powis Hardcover Guide to help you make sure that your book block is aligned correctly inside your Powis HardCover or Photobook cover.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
If you are interested in more information about the Fastback 25 Photobook Binder or are looking for Fastback Binding Machines or Fastback Binding Strips you should visit MyBinding.com. They are the largest online dealer for Powis Parker Fastback products in the United States. In fact, they carry the entire line of Powis Parker Fastback binding products.