How to Market a Photography Business
Newport Beach, Laguna Beach and Huntington Beach are all Orange County locations where the competition in the photography business is fierce. To thrive a business needs to market effectively.
There are a myriad of people who feel they have excellent photography talent. Many of them are right. Yet talent in photography is only one of the major assets for a successful photography business. The other is effective marketing. This article offers tips on how a photography business can market effectively.
1. Create a compelling web page. This page does not have to be the best in the world but just the best on the first page of the key search engine search terms where you expect your future clients to find you. Those on the first page are your competition. People rarely book with anyone who was not on the first page of a search. This leads me to the second suggestion.
2. If you are going to market through the web (good idea for photography business where the web can allow potential clients to experience your product), you must be on the first page of at least one relevant search with decent traffic. Clients seldom book with a photographer who was not on the first page (see suggestion 1).
3. Market using email. Most of your clients will give you an email address. Don't lose these addresses. They are the key to enhancing your repeat business. By mailing out monthly newsletters, you will be able to stay in contact with people who liked your work enough to pay you for it. Remember out-of-sight equals out-of-mind. When your former clients are talking with a friend who needs a photographer, you don't want to be out-of-mind.
4. Partner with local businesses. Offer to hang your fine art images in coffee shops, hair solons, etc., in exchange for a cardholder with your contact information at the establishment. This is a win-win. The business gets a facelift and the photographer gets increased exposure for his work and an implicit endorsement from the establishment.
5. Offer Specials. Offer a family holiday card special during the summer months. This will appeal to those who like to get things done early and it will help you with workflow. Most photographers are far busier at the end of the year than they are during the summer. By booking your regulars during the summer you will be free to accept more business during the holiday season.
6. Utilize a Facebook Account. Each time a client with a Facebook account books a session, offer to past one of the best image for free to their account (of course you will want a requirement that your contact information be on the picture). This will allow all of their friends to be exposed to your work.
The Orange County photography industry is competitive. Those who succeed must have artistic talent and market effectively (or partner with someone who knows how to market effectively).
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
The Author is a Laguna Beach Wedding Photographer who services all of Orange County. He has created a website that evaluates, from a photographer’s perspective, wedding and portraits sites in and around Orange County.