Perfect Binding With LX-PerfectBack LF Strips and the Fastback Model 9
Using a Powis Parker Fastback 9 binding machine it is possible to produce high quality short run perfect bound books in just minutes.This article will describe the steps that are necessary for binding a document with an LF or Lay Flat LX-PerfectBack strip using a Fastback 9 binding machine. There are 7 steps for binding the book block using an LX-Perfectback LF Strip and there are seven steps for adding a cover to your bound document.
Binding your Book Block:
1. Switch your Fastback Model 9 into PERFECTBACK LF mode. If the machine is already in PERFECTBACK LF mode, the display will read: "READY TO BIND" ... "PERFECTBACK LF."
2. Select the correct LX-Perfectback strip according to your document thickness. A narrow Perfectback Strip will bind between 10-125 sheets of 20lb paper and a medium Perfectback strip will bind between 125-250 sheets of 20# paper. If you aren't sure what width of strip to use you can always use your machine to determine the correct size. Just place your document in the binding recess and press the BIND button. The correct size will be shown on the display.
3. Fold the strip to a ninety degree angle so that the adhesive side of the strip faces inward and the side with the peel off release liner faces outward.
4. Place the strip into the Fastback machine with the adhesive facing up. The short side of the bent "L" should be resting against the back of the binding recess and the strip should be moved all the way to right side of the machine.
5. Ensure that all of the pages of your document are properly jogged together so that all of the pages you need to bind will come into contact with the glue on your binding strip. Insert the pages of your book into the machine and make sure that all the pages are even, that your book block is pushed towards the back of the machine and that the edge of your pages line up with the edge of your strip.
6. Press the BIND button on the right side of your machine. The Fastback 9 will then clamp your book in place and begin the binding process.
7. When the Fastback 9 tells you to remove your book, gently pick up the book and place it in the cooling rack for a minimum of five minutes. It is important not to open or try to use the book before it cools or you may compromise the strength of the bind.
Adding Your Cover:
1. Score and fold your cover at the two positions that will represent your spine edges. You can use the Powis Parker Scoring Machine or another similar scoring device to do this quickly and accurately for you.
2. Peel off the thin release paper at the front of your book block.
3. Place your pre-folded cover on a flat surface with the front of the cover bent up from the rear spine edge. Insert your book block inside the front of your cover. Position it so full and even contact is made in the spine area.
4. Fold your front cover tightly over the book block. Starting from the middle, rub back and forth to secure the cover to the adhesive strip beneath it.
5. Flip the book over. Open the back cover and remove the remaining release paper
7. Trim the book ends to size as desired.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
If you are interested in more information about the LX-PerfectBack LF Strips and the Fastback Model 9 or are looking for Fastback Binding Machines or Fastback Binding Strips you should visit MyBinding.com. They are the largest online dealer for Powis Parker Fastback products in the United States. In fact, they carry the entire line of Powis Parker Fastback binding products.