Using and Reloading the Powis Parker Fastback S51 Stitcher
The stitcher is designed to allow users to use hard-to-bind coated paper stocks for printing the pages of their photobooks or hard cover cases. This solves the problems that many users have with pages falling out of their phtobooks or hard cover bound documents. The Powis Parker S51 Stitcher is a part of the Fastback studio photobook binding system. It is a high power commercial stapler that has been retrofitted specifically for stitching the edge of photobooks and hardcovers.
This article will provide you with a brief set of instructions for stitching a book block using the Fastback S51 Stitcher. It will also give you instructions for reloading your stitcher with staples when that time comes.
Stitching The Book Block
The stitching table is designed to make binding photo books fast and easy to do. Stapling points for 11" or 8½" spine lengths are clearly marked on the stitching table.
1. Place the photobook on the stitching table with the spine edge pressed against the back stop.
2. Starting from the left and moving right, line the bound edge of the photo book up with the first stapling point on the stitching table.
3. Press the foot pedal. However, you should not activate the foot pedal without paper - jamming will occur. If the Stitcher does jam, please refer to the Troubleshooting section for assistance.
4. Move the book to the next stapling point and press the foot pedal again. Continue this process until the book block is completely stapled across the binding edge.
5. After the book is stapled, use the crimping tool to flatten the staples. The photo book contents are now ready to add the cover. To give your book a more polished final appearance, you may also add headbands. See the Fastback Hardcover Guide manual for more information.
Here is a quick set of instructions for reloading staples into your Fastback S51 stitcher. It is very important to only use Rapid 66/6 or 66/8 staples. Using the wrong type of staples can damage the unit or may result in bad stapling.
1. Lift the sight-shield. When the sight-shield is raised, the stapling mechanism is disabled. However, you should always be careful when using electric bindery equipment. In fact, it is a good idea to unplug the unit while you are reloading it.
2. Depress the magazine release on the front of the insert stapler and pull out the magazine.
3. Load with staples Rapid 66/6 for book blocks that are less than 2 mm thick (approximately 20 sheets of copying paper 80 g/m2) or Rapid 66/8 for book blocks that are 2-5 mm's thick (approximately 50 sheets of copying paper 80 g/m2).
4. Push in the magazine to the locked position.
5. Lower the sight-shield.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
If you are interested in more information about the Powis Parker Fastback S51 Stitcher or are looking for Fastback Binding Machines or Fastback Binding Strips you should visit MyBinding.com. They are the largest online dealer for Powis Parker Fastback products in the United States. In fact, they carry the entire line of Powis Parker Fastback binding products.