Using the Fastback S41 Edge Splitter and Setting the Paper Stop
The Powis Parker Fastback S41 edge splitter is a unique device that is designed to quickly and easily prepare documents printed on hard-to-bind papers for thermal adhesive binding. This article will provide step by step instructions for using the Fastback edge splitter and for adjusting the paper stop (an important aspect to the S41's operation).
Using the Edge Splitter
The Fastback edge splitter is extremely easy to use. However, care must be taken to ensure that all the sheets in a document are evenly jogged before splitting the paper. For optimal results, some papers may require special adjustments to the splitter settings. If necessary, it is possible to adjust the depth, rate, and pass modes to settings for the paper being prepared before you start the edge preparation process. These advanced settings are not discussed here but will be the subject of another article.
1. Check the paper stop. It should be 1/32" from the edge of the paper. Adjust if necessary. Instructions for adjusting the paper stop are found below.
2. Place paper in the book cavity aligned to the right side. The jogging motor will automatically start. Lightly apply pressure to the top edge of the paper and allow the machine to jog for a few seconds to ensure that all the sheets are properly aligned before splitting. The sound you hear at this point is only the jogging motor. The splitting process will not begin until you push the green button. If the paper stop is placed too close to the paper, it may cause the sheets to ride up out of the splitter. If the stop is placed too far away, the paper will move around in the Splitter, which may interfere with the machine's ability to adequately prepare the paper.
3. Continue to press lightly on the top edge of the paper and push the green button. The jogging motor stops, the paper is clamped, and the splitting process begins. The display will read: "WORKING" To halt the paper preparation process in progress, press the HALT button. Depending on where it is in the cycle, the process may take a few seconds to stop.
4. When the display reads "REMOVE BOOK" remove the book block from the splitter. The book block is now ready for binding (please refer to your binding manual for instructions on binding).
Setting the Paper Stop:
The paper stop prevents the paper from moving laterally in the book cavity during the jogging and edge splitting process, ensuring better results. The paper stop is easily adjusted to any position you wish along the support fence. Here is how you adjust the paper stop...
1. Loosen the paper stop by holding the rear portion of the stop and turning the front portion of the stop counter clockwise.
2. Move the paper stop so that it is approximately 1/32" (or 1mm) from the edge of the paper. It is important to leave a slight space between the paper and the paper stop. If the stop is positioned too closely to the book it can cause the sheets to ride up. If the stop is too far the paper will move around too much and the edge will not be properly split.
3. Tighten the paper stop.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
If you are interested in more information about the Fastback S41 Edge Splitter or are looking for Fastback Binding Machines or Fastback Binding Strips you should visit MyBinding.com. They are the largest online dealer for Powis Parker Fastback products in the United States. In fact, they carry the entire line of Powis Parker Fastback binding products.