Text Layout With PowisPrint Software and the Fastback P31 PowisPrinter
Using the PowisPrint software with your Fastback P31 PowisPrinter you can add virtually any text to your binding strip. This article is designed to help you understand the different options for laying out text using the P31 and the Powis Print software. Some of these options are available as part of the Design Window toolbar and others must be accessed through the Format menu at the top of the screen.
Text Layout Options Through The Design Window Toolbar
1. Font Type: Select a font using the Font Selection key on the tool bar. (The available fonts are the TrueType fonts already loaded on your computer.) For most users there should be hundreds of different font options available for use. Additional fonts can be purchased or downloaded for special projects or designs.
2. Font Size: To adjust the font size, use the up and down arrow keys in the Font Size area on the tool bar. (You cannot change the font size by entering a number directly in the Size box.) Your point size range is 6 to 200. If you don't select a font size, the software automatically AutoFits your text to the zone size. Once you manually reset the font size, you deactivate AutoFit. Without AutoFit, you can exceed the zone boundaries, and enter too many characters, or select a font size that is too big for your book. In this case, the PowisPrinter™ will print exactly what you've entered-whether it fits or not. To avoid making design errors, we recommend using AutoFit.
3. Font Style: Using the Font Style keys, choose which style you want: bold, italic, and/or underline. You may have one, two, or all three of these styles simultaneously in one zone. The style(s) you select apply to all the zone contents.
4. Character Spacing: Use the up and down arrow keys in the Spacing area to adjust the space between the characters. You have a range of 90% (tight) to 130% (loose). 100% is normal character spacing. Note that changing the character spacing deactivates AutoFit. To reactivate AutoFit at the new spacing, press the AutoFit button on the toolbar, or go to the Format - Text - AutoFit. PowisPrint will now automatically size your text (at the new spacing you've selected) as large as possible to fit within the zone boundaries.
5. Aligning Text: Within each zone, you can left-align, center-align, or right-align your text. Use the Alignment keys on the tool bar to place your text.
6. AutoFit: PowisPrint AutoFit is just like AutoFit on your PowisPrinter keyboard. It automatically selects the largest font size to fit the zone height and width. Using AutoFit, you don't have to worry about the right size font - AutoFit figures it out for you. It's true! When you open a Design Window, AutoFit is active. Once you modify the font size, though, you deactivate AutoFit. However, if you change orientations in the zone, or move to a new zone, AutoFit reactivates. You can also reactivate AutoFit by pressing the AutoFit button in the Design Window, or going to the Format menu, then Text, and choosing AutoFit.
Text Layout Options Available Through the Format Menu
1. Apply Style in All Zones: This convenient feature applies the font type and styles of the zone you're currently in to all other zones. For example, if you're working in a zone, using Times New Roman bold, and you want to make your other zones match this, simply go to Format - Text, and choose Apply Style in All Zones. Now all zones reflect Times New Roman bold. Apply Style in All Zones applies only to character formatting (i.e., font, style, size, and character spacing). This means any line spacing you set in one zone will NOT transfer to other zones when you select Apply Style in All Zones. You must apply line spacing to each zone separately.
2. Spacing: This feature allows you to adjust the character and line spacing. To take advantage of this, go to the Format - Text - Spacing. The Spacing box pops up. To change the amount of space between multiple lines of text, click the up and down arrow keys next to the Line Spacing Indicator box. Normal line spacing is 100. You can decrease the spacing to 50, but you cannot increase it beyond 100. You can control the individual character spacing from the Design Window, or by going to Format Text, and selecting Spacing. Like the control in the Design Window, simply click the up and down arrow keys to create more or less space between characters. You may expand spacing to 130, and condense it to 90 (100 is normal spacing).
Any character spacing changes, either in the Spacing control box or the Design Window, will be reflected in both places. If you want to change the character spacing in all zones, go to the Format - Text menu, and select Apply Style in All Zones. This automatically matches the character spacing settings in the inactive zones to the new character spacing in the active zone. Sometimes after doing this, text in the inactive zones appears cut off. Never fear! Simply click AutoFit off then back on in each zone, and the text will be resized at the new spacing setting.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
If you are interested in more information about the Fastback P31 and PowisPrint Software or are looking for Fastback Binding Machines or Fastback Binding Strips you should visit MyBinding.com. They are the largest online dealer for Powis Parker Fastback products in the United States. In fact, they carry the entire line of Powis Parker Fastback binding products.