Information On What To Do With An Emergency Eye Wash
Do you feel absolutely safe in your workplace? Do you know about emergency eye wash? To have an effective eyewash installed in your place, it is important to follow the requirements and guidelines offered by the law and manufacturer. Read the rest of the article below and know the importance of using emergency wash.
Emergency eyewash is a device that offers prompt remedy when dangerous substance gets into someone’s eyes. With this kind of first aid device, workers, even those that are employed in chemical companies, could have ease of mind when it comes to their safety.
In most industrial nations, the law requires companies to install or make emergency eyewash stations available in their plant. This is most especially for companies that deal with chemicals or any substance or material that could infect eyes.
In America, companies follow emergency eyewash station guidelines as prescribed in American National Standard Institute or ANSI Z358.1-2009. Here are some of the suggestions that you may find in this document:
- Drinkable and preserved water as well as medical solutions are considered as flushing fluids.
- Eye wash solution must be applied to eyes and other affected areas for a minimum of fifteen minutes.
Of course, the length application of solution or fluid would depend on the contaminants that a person has in its eyes. Moreover, the company’s local reference may also influence the use of emergency eyewash. That being said, it is necessary to know the different contaminants that could irritate your eyes.
Here are some of them:
- Tiny objects produced by casting, furnace or wedling.
- Chemical splashes
- Vapors, heat and fumes
- Sand, dirt and dust
The availability of emergency eyewash fountain or shower in your workplace can prevent further risk if not clear, the danger that these eye hazards may produce. Although keeping your eyes safe from any harmful effects of your workplace is the main objective of eyewash, you may find other benefits with it.
There are also different reasons why you have to use emergency eyewash in your company, some of them are:
1. Provide prompt medication. If you have eye wash bottles, stations or even fountains in your production place, you can easily provide medical attention to your employee. By doing so, you will be able to prevent further effect of the contaminants in your worker’s eyes.
2. Offer safety awareness to your employees and minimize workplace accidents. In most cases, accidents in work areas are caused by lack of education and proper training on job safety. Operators and other employees do not have adequate knowledge on how to safely perform their work.
The installation of emergency showers and eyewash is offered with a brief seminar. Through that, your employees could have basic clues on how to avoid accidents.
3. Avoid paying penalty to the authority. As mentioned earlier, the law requires companies to be equipped with first aid eye wash and kits. Failing to comply with this requisite could mean penalty or other legal sanctions.
If you do not want to find yourself in trouble with the law, it might be good to just follow them. After all, eye wash places will not only benefit your employee they can also protect the regular operation of your business.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Do you want to install Eye wash emergency in your workplace? Do you know what makes an eyewash effective? We at Supply Line Direct supply the best materials and equipment to make each workplace a safer one. We aim to help both the employees and companies to continue doing businesses as safe as possible. Visit the website at http://www.supplylinedirect.com to know more about emergency wash and other equipment.