Olive Oil and its Health Benefits
When cooking healthy foods, olive oil is the best recommended oil by doctors. Not only does it make food taste better, it also functions as an effective ingredient in some health products such a...
When cooking healthy foods, olive oil is the best recommended oil by doctors. Not only does it make food taste better, it also functions as an effective ingredient in some health products such as pharmaceutical drugs, food supplements and cosmetics. During the earlier times, olive oil is used as fuel for traditional oil lamps.
As of this time, olive oil is used all throughout the world especially in countries where the olive tree grows.
How is the olive oil processed?
Basically, the olive oil is a type of fat which is extracted and processed from the olive tree. Olive trees grow specifically in the Mediterranean Basin which is the world’s largest supplier of olive oil. Oil is extracted from whole olives by means of grinding them through chemical or mechanical methods. Before it turns into oil, the olive fruit is transformed into olive paste and then churned slowly allowing microscopic droplets of oil to concentrate. There are two methods by which the oil can be extracted and these are centrifugation which is the modern method and by means of pressure which is the traditional method. The process of extraction takes quite a long process because oil can still be extracted from the remnants of the solid substance which is called ‘pomace’.
Benefits of Olive Oil
Olive oil is mainly used as a cooking agent particularly for frying and simmering. When it comes to taking care of the health the extra virgin olive oil is being recommended. Olive oil promotes a number of health benefits such as the following:
1. Olive oil lowers blood cholesterol – High cholesterol can learn to heart to disease, therefore, by lowering down the blood cholesterol the risk of acquiring heart disease can be avoided.
2. Olive oil has an anti-oxidant component which is helpful in minimizing the risk of cancer.
3. Olive oil helps in maintaining normal blood pressure. Studies show that when olive oil is consumed regularly, there is a decrease in the systole and diastole of the blood pressures.
4. Olive oil improves blood sugar for diabetic patients. It has the ability to lower down the ‘bad’ lipoproteins allowing control on the blood sugar.
5. Olive oil helps in the reduction of obesity even if it is high calories.
It is no doubt that olive oil is the safest oil to use in the kitchen. Apart from being a healthy cooking agent, olive oil also promotes wellness being and additive to some food supplements. Olive oil is also an important component to some cosmetic products such as shampoo, soap, lotion, facial creams, skin oil and others.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
For your olive oil needs and supply, there is one site to rely on - www.avanton.com. You can easily order olive oil products from the site by making an online transaction using your credit card. A shopping cart is provided if you opt to buy more than one products. By visiting the site, you can avail of the best olive oil for your home use.
Enjoy the benefits of olive oil and live healthily.