How to Implement an Effective 12 Step Program
The 12-step program is not a secret. It exists now and gives remarkable results. The 12-step program is a real, widespread and oft-used method for retrieval of alcoholism. What is more, the 12-step program is a life-saving opportunity, which is worth the trying. For people who have no way to escape from the alcohol addiction, the 12-step program is a mere miracle.
The first steps of developing the 12-step program belong to two alcoholics (named Bob and Bill) who have had the brilliant idea that they can help each other to cope with the situation. They also realized that the power of their will is very important to succeed. However, some rules had to be followed because they knew that anything that starts with no principles, at some time fails.
Iron will, strong principles and a steadfast persistance this is the way the 12-step program began. In the beginning they called it Alcoholics Anonymous. The 12-step program gave way to the foundation of such groups for recovery as the 12-step program Narcotics Anonymous, the 12-step program ACA, Adult Children of Alcoholics, the 12-step program Overeaters Anonymous and many other groups, which help smokers, sex-addicted people and so on.
The anonymous members of the 12-step program recognize these 12 steps as their fundamental principles:
1. We know that we have no power over our addiction. Our live is now uncontrollable. The 12-step program will give us the needed power.
2. We believe that we will have our common sense and mental health back. The 12-step program may be the higher power that will help us.
3. We will sacrifice our lives to God as God cares for us.
4. We will give our moral principles a full consideration. The 12-step program may help us do it.
5. We do wrong while admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being.
6. We will let God erase all our defects of character.
7. We will meekly ask God to remove all our faults.
8. We will think of all people we have hurt and we will try to make up for our faults to them.
9. We will make amends to all people we have hurt but not to these who we will hurt again with our actions.
10. We will accept the blame whenever we act morally wrong.
11. Through prayer and meditation we will contact with God, as we understand God and God understands us. We will only ask God about God's will for us. We will also ask whether we will have the power to resist.
12. We will always try to pass these messages to other alcohol addicts because we know about the effectiveness of these steps. We will practice these rules every day and in every case.
The 12-step program is free of charge. At meetings of the members of the 12-step program, a basket is passed among them. You may or you may not contribute if you wish. The 12-step program puts absolutely no shame because it is anonymous.
The 12-step program requires following the steps and faking nothing. That is why the 12-step program often needs a sponsor.
Everyone may take different impressions about the 12-step program because it depends on some individual characteristics. Now I remember one recovered addict who used to say, Just dont take nothing and dont hurt nobody. He also always has said that the 12-step program only requires sitting down, shutting up, and listening. No more special efforts will be necessary.
Article Tags: 12-step Program
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Morgan Hamilton offers expert advice and great tips regarding all aspects concerning 12 Step Program. You can find more helpful information about 12 Step Program and other similar topics right here.