Who Ends Up In Dementia Care Assisted Living?
Dementia care assisted living is for individuals who have developed Alzheimer’s or another brain related issue. Who are these individuals?
- Vascular or VaD: Vascular refers to blood pathways within the human body. When a person suffers a stroke or blood clot this can cause impairment with the intellect and mental abilities.
- Head injuries: Blows to the head can cause damage to the brain which leads to dementia. Automobile accidents, falls, or acts of violence have all been situations which have left the victim with a loss of mental capacities.
- HIV/AIDS related: When the body deteriorates from the devastation of this disease, the mind is in its path of destruction. It’s not uncommon to decline into dementia while deep in the throes of this deterioration.
- Encephalitis or meningitis: Encephalitis is a swelling of fluids in and around the brain. This may occur congenitally or as a result of an illness. Meningitis may be viral or bacterial. It is a serious disease which lands the sufferer in the hospital for multiple days. This illness attacks the spinal fluid and can affect the brain as well. Children receive immunizations to counter one of the most prevalent types. This immunization is called the HIB shot. It used to be given in one dose at age 18 months but is now given in increments during infancy.
- Lewy Bodies: Proteins appear abnormally in brains with Lewy Bodies. This malady is progressive and causes impairment of mental functioning.
- Picks Disease: Picks is rare and is often confused with Alzheimer’s. It affects the frontal lobes as well as the temporal section.
When a family members develops dementia for any reason, it can be a devastating experience. It’s quite difficult to see a loved one change mentally right before one’s eyes. In order to be safe and well cared for, the individual must live in a facility where safety and well being is monitored round the clock.
Some of the amenities a “Memory Care” facility might include are:
- Alarms: So that one of the residents doesn’t slip out, special alarms are set to notify the staff of any unplanned opened doors. Alarms are meant to give individuals more freedom rather than less. Individuals can walk around visiting or attending activities within the building, freely and without worry.
- Hygiene and personal needs: Bathing, grooming and other personal hygiene tasks can be accomplished by dedicated assistants who are employed with the facility.
- Nursing staff 24/7: Having constant access to nursing care lets family members breathe a sigh of relief and keeps residents healthy.
Dementia care assisted living residences can care for individuals who have suffered from mental losses. A high quality home will add to their wellbeing.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
For dementia care assisted living, Hawaii residents know where to turn. Find them today at http://www.theplazaassistedliving.com/.