General Contractors - How To Choose the Best
The need for general contractors is ever prevalent. Helpful tips on what to look for when questioning a contractor for your renovation project.
Let's take a look at some of the characteristics of high quality general contractors:
1. Experience speaks louder than words. Often it seems inexperienced people use too many words to describe their services. All they do is talk, talk, talk, but they don't keep their word. An experienced GC won't need to do a lot of talking. He will have learned actions speak louder than words.
2. Current projects. Ask how much volume the GC already has going on under his watchful eye. If he has too many projects, this may cause great delay for you. You don't want someone who'd be spread as thin as marmalade on a piece of toast in the poor house. Ah, but you say, "I'm in no hurry." Even if that's the case, over-extended GC's, at some point, may offer poor quality work. What's worse, you may even be forgotten altogether!
3. Diversify and specialize. Don't hire a GC who tells you he can do anything. That's unreasonable. Don't be afraid to hire a number of sub-contractors in various fields if need be. Be wary of a GC who comes off like a "Jack of all trades."
4. Keeps his word. Let the red flag be raised if a GC tells you, without batting an eye, he can do a certain job when he really has no expertise in that area. This happens frequently and is unavoidable sometimes. But a good way to hopefully avoid this is to ask one of his former clients for a testimonial in the area you want done.
5. Honesty. Integrity can't be stressed enough as a highly- sought after quality in hiring general contractors. You know how important your home is. At the time of renovation, a number of workers, who are strangers, will be filing in and out of it. You must be able to feel secure and safe within your own home. You need to know that the 5th Century Ming dynasty vase you just bought off eBay will still be on the shelf when they leave.
6. Best value. It's awesome to find a GC who will not only have his own profit on his mind, but he will do all he can to find the best value for you. It's only natural to try and get the cheapest labor and materials for the lowest price. The price is jacked up sky high to you, Mr. Homeowner, and then voila! the GC makes off like a bandit with the difference.
The way to avoid being taken advantage of is to look for a company who can provide you with unbeatable service, powerful testimonials, honesty and incredible advice. This combo is a "must have" when hiring general contractors.
Article Tags: General Contractors
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
When you're looking for Michigan general contractors, don't be fooled by flashy advertising and false promises. Choose a reliable professional! Find out more at http://www.cdbarnes.com/.