New Year Resolutions Worth Contemplating
Do your New Year's resolutions seldom make it past the first month? Here's a practical lesson from an old water pump: it needs to be primed first. In life, we first need to give of that which we want more of. Yet if we give out lack, we cannot attract abundance and if we emanate anger, we cannot attract love. Here are ten principles you can use to prime the pump of life by integrating the very qualities you desire, into your life.
Most of us are looking for similar things in life: more time, love, joy, and quality of life. What we sometimes forget, is that we first need to prime the pump in order to get what we want.
On my grandfather's farm was a creaky old water pump. Before it would start drawing water from the well, it had to be primed with a cup of water. As a child, I used to marvel at the mystery of it all – first pouring a cup of water down the pump and then pumping the squeaky lever up and down, up and down… until a small stream of water would start running from the spout. Once the stream started flowing, one could fill up as many buckets with water as needed, and it all started with the simple act of priming the pump with water first.
The water pump would not yield water if I primed it with rocks. It needed to be primed with water – the same substance that I desired from it. In life it works the same way: we prime the pump of life with that which we contribute, and we attract that which we emanate. If we emanate lack, we cannot attract abundance and if we emanate anger, we cannot attract love. Because like attracts like, we therefore need to first prime the pump by giving of that which we desire.
In the process, the very quality we focus on giving becomes an integral part of our being. Just as that old water pump on the farm yielded as much water as desired after it was primed, a life that exudes love, abundance and joy, draws more of the same qualities.
This year, instead of making the same old New Year resolutions, perhaps it would be more meaningful to prime the pump with the very qualities you would like to see more of in your life!Here are some ideas to get you started. By practicing even just one of these principles consistently over time, you will find that life returns to you a bountiful measure of the same.
1. I treat everyone in my life with the love and respect that I would receive from them.
2. I believe it is more important to be loving than to be right, and I apply this in my life daily.
3. I look for the beauty in every person and everything that crosses my path.
4. I practice lovingkindness toward all sentient beings.
5. I take steps to simplify my life so I can enjoy more with less.
6. I find time to nurture my body, mind and soul, even if it is only a few minutes each day.
7. I focus on what is right rather than what is wrong.
8. I forgive those who have hurt me and let go of old wrongs so there may be peace on earth.
10. I find and express gratitude in my life each day.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Ada Porat is a holistic health practitioner and life balance coach with extensive international teaching and clinical experience. She uses body/mind/spirit techniques to help clients integrate their New Year’s resolutions. For more information, visit http://www.AdaPorat.com or call (602) 283-4628 MST.