Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint Articles
Monday, June 24, 2019
 
Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint ArticlesRegisterAll CategoriesTop AuthorsSubmit Article (Article Submission)ContactSubscribe Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint Articles
 

St. Patrick\\\'s Cathedral

St. Patrick's Church is the chair of the Archbishop of New You are able to, Edward M. Egan. It is the biggest designed gothic-style Catholic Church in the U. s. Declares and has been identified throughout its record as a center of Catholic lifestyle in The united states.

St. Patrick's Cathedral is the seat of the Archbishop of New York, Edward M. Egan. It is the largest decorated gothic-style Catholic Cathedral in the United States and has been recognized throughout its history as a centre of Catholic life in America.

The Cathedral was begun in 1858 by Archbishop John Hughes to replace the original St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is used today as a parish church in New York. The cornerstone was laid on the Feast of the Assumption, August 15, 1858, work was discontinued during the years of Civil War, John Cardinal McCloskey, the first American Cardinal, resumed work in 1865,with completion in May,1879. Archbishop Michael Corrigan added the towers on the West Front in 1888 and began work on the east addition, including the Lady Chapel in 1901. Work on the Lady Chapel addition was completed by Cardinal Farley. Cardinal Hayes completed an extensive A comprehensive renovation of the interior between 1927 and 1931 was carried out,at which time the great organ was installed and the sanctuary was enlarged.
During the years of Cardinal O'Connor's episcopate, extensive renovations have been made to maintain the structural integrity of the building, including roof replacement, exterior steps, replastering of the walls in the transepts, repair of stained glass and refinishing the transept doors. A liturgical altar has been placed in the sanctuary and the baptistry has been relocated. A new amplification system and modern lighting were installed in 1988 and 1989. The Kilgen organs were restored between 1995 and 1998 and the lighting systems in 1999. The Lady Chapel and the Chapels of Sts. Anthony, LouisFeature Articles, Michael and Elizabeth were restored in 2003.


Article Tags: Lady Chapel

Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com

ABOUT THE AUTHOR


Why not book in to one of the New York Hotels nearby.



Health
Business
Finance
Travel
Technology
Home Repair
Computers
Marketing
Autos
Family
Entertainment
Law
Education
Communication
Other
Sports
ECommerce
Home Business
Self Help
Internet
Partners


Page loaded in 0.020 seconds