"No man is an island. No man stands ... lesson many business people learn very early on is that you can't make it on your own. You don't have the ... or the time to do ... that nee
"No man is an island. No man stands alone."
One lesson many business people learn very early on is that you can't make it on your own. You don't have the knowledge or the time to do everything that needs to be done in your business or to meet all of your customer's needs. You can compensate for that by building relationships with people who can provide you with the skills and services you need and a place for you to refer your clients. So, for example, even if you can't do your clients taxes, you can refer them to a good CPA.
In coaching we call this exercise of identifying other people who can be resources for your business "creating a Team 100 list." It's a very simple process; select 100 other professionals you want to do business with and you would like to be able to refer your clients to. This is your Dream Team. Start building relationships with these people.
When creating your Dream Team, take a holistic approach. Include individuals from many different professions to cover every facet of your life.
1. Business Relationships. Running a business or managing your career is a lot easier when you have a strong support team. This includes a coach, writer, computer consultant, graphic design artist, etc.
2. Professional advice. The best advice does not come from your mother, best friend, or co-workers. It comes from trained professionals who specialize. This includes an attorney, realtor, banker, insurance agent, etc.
3. Mind, body and soul. It is also important to have resources for your personal needs as well as your business needs. These include doctors (especially specialists), massage therapist, chiropractor, therapist, etc.
4. Services to simplify. You can accomplish more professionally when you have help with some of the little things in life. This would include housekeeper, travel agent, photographer, seamstress, etc.
5. Take REALLY good care of yourself. And for those days when you know you need pampering it is good to have names of self-care professionals handy including a skin care specialist, personal trainer, manicurist, spiritual advisor, image consultant, etc.
For an extensive list of professionals to include on your Team 100 and to sign up for the Preferred Futures newsletter, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line Team 100 Assessment.
======================================= NOTE: The following information must be included if you reprint this article:
Myrtis Smith is a personal coach and founder of Premeditated Life, a Cincinnati-based coaching company specializing in helping individuals manage life's many transitions, especially career changes. Myrtis is known for her personable style. She has an action-oriented approach to coaching that uses light-hearted humor and practical information. She has an ability to help her clients see beyond their current situations and recognize the many possibilities available to them.