How to Choose a Home Renovation Contractor
When choosing a residential construction contractor for some of the renovation work on your home, how will you tell the difference between a certified professional and a fake? Do some research and ask the right questions before you make this important decision.
Before you begin the calling and interviewing process, you need to know where to look for residential construction contractors. www.LocalConstructionPros.com has thousands of great home renovation contractors to choose from. First, ask yourself what needs to be done, and educate yourself in the project.
Call at least three potential contractors to interview and get quotes. When you're requesting quotations, give every contractor the same information so your comparison is consistent.
How to Interview a Contractor
Ask these Questions when interviewing a residential contractor.
1. Are you licensed in this city/state? If yes, get the number and validate it by calling your local building department's licensing office. Also, call your Better Business Bureau and your state's Consumer Protection Agency to find out what's required to get a license in your state.
2. Ask for 3 references from jobs done in the recent past. Call references and ask about your contractor's reliability and ability to stay on budget and schedule.
3. Ask if the contractor is insured. Contractors should be insured for general liability, workman's compensation, auto insurance, and property and personal liability. Ask for a copy of your contractor's insurance because the last thing you want is legal and financial responsibility should an accident happen on your property.
4. Ask how long your contractor has been in business. 5 or 10 years, ok. Sounds stable.
5. Ask for before and after photographs of their work. Some contractors have websites with photo galleries.
6. Ask for a detailed estimate that's itemized and includes labor, materials, overhead and a schedule. Ask for it in writing so you can easily compare it to estimates you receive from other contractors.
Article Tags: Home Renovation
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
LocalConstructionPros.com is a nation wide residential construction contractors directory and one of the leading Internet Marketing Firm for construction companies. Find home renovation, home remodeling, kitchen,bathroom renovation contractors and more.