Many of you may have desired to work online and be a VA or perhaps a Virtual Assistant but don't even have the ability on how to get started. It might not be easy switching from a corporate job in an online job, but once you begin, you may well be on your journey to be a Virtual Assistant.
A lot of you may have desired to work online and be a VA or possibly a Virtual Assistant but does not possess the knowledge on how to get started. It may not be easy switching from your corporate job to an online job, however when you start out, you may be on your journey to be a Virtual Assistant. VA Networking describes a Virtual Assistant as a “highly-skilled, independent professional who provides administrative, technical and/or creative business support services. These are your off-site administrative professional”. They provide services online. Here are a couple of guidelines to kickstart your job as a VA:
1. First, perform some self-analysis to find your passion. This will determine your niche or field of expertise which may embody the core services you wish to offer. As an aspiring VA, you should identify your abilities and talents, what and where you are good at and which of those could you market to your clients.
2. Make a roadmap or business plan to organize your thinking. Incorporate your target audience and who your ideal clients may be, your brand (or image that you want to project to your clients), the support you intend to provide, how you are going to market them, how you are going to charge them, your unique value proposition or statement that best describes what value your client will derive from you, your primary goal, your vision and mission statements as well as your time management.
3. Start a personal blog/website. As a starter, it is wise not to spend a lot first. Instead of hiring a web developer, you are able to register for a free account using Wordpress.com or com. It is important to have a blog so that it can provide additional information regarding your services and will eventually serve as your portfolio and online resume. This will even provide a professional image about you and to your prospective customers.
4. Understand the work you are going into and what it requires. Find out the pros and cons of working from home . Do research to understand whether this can be the right career change for yourself. Join virtual assistant forums and groups to understand more about the VA world.
5. Create an email address solely for your VA services. This email address must look professional. Make use of your real name and prevent using aliases. This email address will serve as your way of making contact with your clients so it must reflect your personality and also your character.
6. Starting a virtual assistant office requires minimal capital. You only need a computer, a good hi-speed internet connection and headset with microphone. Buy the essential VA applications and tools you will need including Skype, a project management software, Dropbox, MS Office, Google Docs, GotoMeeting, Prezi, Evernote, Trello, GotoWebinar, Awesome Screenshot, Google Calendar, Gimp and a whole lot more!
7. Once you have set up your operations, it's time to market yourself and search for clients.For starters, you may sign up for free accounts in outsourcing sites like Onlinejobs.ph (for Filipino Virtual Assistants), Odesk and Elance. From here, you'll be able to work your way through building your network.
8. Be prepared for payment methods for example setting up a Paypal account and a bank account. You can verify your Paypal account using EON Unionbank account and Online banking. You may also open a BPI or BDO account for direct deposit payments through your clients.
New York based founder of Philippine Virtual Assistant Network - Philippines largest community of Filipino Virtual Assistants with more than 13,000 members. He also founded PVAN Academy, VA Internship Program & Web Internship Program, an online learning & personalized mentoring website that caters aspiring virtual professional & web designers to work from home. Likewise Jay is also the Principal of Remote Virtual Assistant Agency, a virtual assistant staffing agency which helps several Filipinos to have a work from home job which currently serves several clients around the globe. As an author, he published Be a Rockstar Virtual Assistant | The Ultimate Guide in Working Online. on amazon.com to help aspiring virtual assistant to work from home Follow him on Twitter, Connect with him on Facebook, Linkedin or visit his personal website www.JayPasana.com