7 Quick Steps To Make Your PC Run Faster
A slow computer can be annoying, especially if you need your computer to do work and communicate with other people. Fortunately, speeding up your computer is not that difficult. In fact, there are ple...
A slow computer can be annoying, especially if you need your computer to do work and communicate with other people. Fortunately, speeding up your computer is not that difficult. In fact, there are plenty of ways on how to make your PC run faster. These ways are simple yet effective. They will also not cost you any money. You should try these methods before you hire a professional technician:
* If you are using Windows 7 and you find it slow, you should turn off superfluous effects. To do this, go to Start and type in "performance". Then, choose "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows" and then "Custom and check". Finally, you should choose "Use visual styles on Windows and buttons".
* Your computer may also slow down if you do not have enough drive space. If you are using Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1, you should check the available space on your computer and use Disk Cleanup. You should also get rid of the applications on your desktop that you do not use. If you have Windows Store applications that you do not need, you should get rid of those too. Similarly, you should either delete or archive the files that you no longer use. You should also reduce the size of your "WinSxS" folder and make your OneDrive files online-only. You may also want to place your "OneDrive" files into a removable drive and add more storage to your computer.
* If you are on Windows 7, you can use Disk Cleanup to get rid of temporary files, program installers, and other unnecessary files. Just go to Start and choose All Programs. Go to Accessories and select System Tools. Here, you will see the Disk Cleanup feature that you need. You may also purchase a registry cleaner if you do not want to encounter DLL error messages in the future.
* You can also speed up the performance of your computer by deleting temporary files. When these files get stuck in your hard disk, they can significantly affect the performance of your computer. Hence, you need to delete them, including your cookies and history. Just go to My Computer and choose your local drive. Go to your Windows folder and right-click on "Temp". When you see "View", go to "Details" and choose all the files that you want to delete. See to it that you empty your "Recycle Bin" afterwards to make sure that they have been completely deleted.
* You can also prevent unnecessary start ups to make your computer faster. Just go to Start and click Run. Type in "msconfig" to launch "Startup". You will then see a list of the programs that run on your computer during startup. Choose the ones that you want to stop running and disable them. If you are using Windows 7, you may want to remove the fonts that your operating system loads. There are over two hundred fonts, and they can affect the speed of your startup. Thus, you should go to Start and then Fonts. Uncheck all the fonts that you do not need and click "Hide".
* You can also run a disk defragment on your computer to reconfigure how your hard drive stores data and maximizes available space. Just go to My Computer and right-click on your hard drive. Then, you should go to "Properties" and look for the "Defragment Now" option under "Tools".
* Another effective method on how to make your PC run faster is to give it a static IP address. During startup, your computer takes a lot of time looking for an IP address. If you use a static IP address that does not change, you will reduce your startup period and make your network easier to manage. Just go to your "Network and Sharing Center" and choose "Change adapter settings". Choose your local adapter and click on "Properties". Modify your IP address, default gateway, and subnet mask, and save your new settings.
* If you are running more than one antivirus program, your computer may slow down, restart unexpectedly, or reduce its stability. Hence, you should uninstall the other antispyware or antivirus programs. Just see to it that you run an Internet security program before you uninstall the others. If you want to make sure that your security applications uninstall completely, you should get a cleanup tool. It is also recommended that you turn off real-time scanning in your antispyware program if you use it with Microsoft Security Essentials.
As time passes by, the performance of your computer decreases. The more you use it, the more it becomes susceptible to wear and tear. However, before you consider replacing your computer, you should check if you can still improve its performance by doing these methods. You can also contact customer support if you need any technical assistance.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR