Dynamics GP San Diego, Chicago Newsflash: Dexterity Programming
If you need to modify existing Microsoft Dynamics GP (formerly this ERP was known as Great Plains Dynamics) user interface, then you should review Great Plains Dexterity as GP programming, adding new forms and tables software development tool. We described Dex in popular articles back from 2004 and this article is for very general review
Microsoft Dexterity is in its turn coded in C++ programming language and virtually all you see in GP user interface (we are not talking about Dynamics GP Business Portal, where interface is web based) is Dexterity forms, scrolling windows, reports, fields, constants and strings. If you would like to alter existing GP form, or add new form, which will be hosted in GP security realm (where for GP 10.0 you can add new Task and append it to existing security role, or for older Great Plains versions it is under user class or user security), then Dexterity is natural tool of choice:
1. Dexterity license and training. If you would like to train your own internal programmers in Dexterity, please, know that Dex requires additional license, which could be obtained through your Dynamics GP Reseller. We really believe that programming Dex internally is feasible only in the case, when your custom add-on is really complex and requires several years of development and following customization support and version upgrades. Dexterity is not too friendly to generic developers and it requires long learning curve with bumpy bugs and even architecture redesign caveats. If you would like to train your programmers in Dexterity, we are happy to provide it to you over web sessions from our Dynamics GP Dexterity Software Development Factory
2. Existing Dexterity customization support and upgrade. If you are soft of feeling that you are orphan Dynamics GP client and you would like to recover support for your old Great Plains Dexterity Customization, please check that you have Source code (typically either Dynamics.dic or Extract.dic with Dexterity Sanscript scripts not stripped out), In order to upgrade Dex add-ons it should be reviewed by Dynamics GP Dexterity programmer to made it compliant to new GP tables, forms, scrolling windows, reports, etc
3. Dexterity and GP Integrations. It should be considered as powerful supplement to Great Plains Integration Manager and eConnect SDK. Both IM and eConnect can work with master records and work transactions, while Dex could help in further transaction processing, such as but not limited to GP Batch Posting directly from your ecommerce application, where you are sending transactions and new customer info through eConnect custom application
4. Dexterity in Barcode automation. Dex can open for you every Great Plains screen, where you desire to upload Barcode batch: Inventory Item Quantities, Sales Order Processing Invoice screen POS transaction to give you couple of examples. Besides these simple hints, you can create or modify in Dexterity very complex Inventory Management, Logistics, SCM application with Consignment rules, picking and packing, stock count, etc.
5. Alternatives to Dexterity. We recommend you not to rescue to pure SQL insertion on DB level, as it has very high probability to violate your GP data consistency. Please, consider eConnect for integration projects, where you would like to have real time integration or where you would also like to feed data to custom tables outside GP system. Plus Dynamics GP Integration Manager also has eConnect connectors, and technically it can do the same job, however IM is more user friendly tool and you can achieve faster results, but it has more restrictions in modifications. For example, you are at this time restricted to VBA scripts to Integration events: Before Integration, Before Document Commit, etc.
6. Dynamics GP Industries list. For generic businesses such as Wholesale and Retail, Warehouse management and logistics, services, membership organization, not for profit, trading, funds management, project organization, discrete manufacturing. light assembly, Sea Shipping, GP should do the job. If you need Process Manufacturing needs, you should consider either Axapta Dynamics AX, or if you are small organization for AX MRP, share with us your Process Manufacturing needs, chances are high that simple Dynamics GP Dexterity modification could do the job for you with better budget
7. How to get help? Obviously here we are limited to article format, which should be no more than couple of web pages, however feel free to call us: 1-866-528-0577, outside of USA: 1-630-961-5918, email us: firstname.lastname@example.org We speak English, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Russian for your convenience
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Andrew Karasev, Alba Spectrum , email@example.com 1-866-528-0577 http://www.albaspectrum.com Serving ERP and MRP community since 1994, local service in Chicago, Houston, San Diego, Atlanta, Los Angeles. Information portal: http://www.pegasplanet.com We serve you USA and Canada nationwide from our SAP Business One call center: California, Illinois, New York, Florida, Minnesota, New Jersey, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Ontario, Quebec, Washington, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Oregon, New York, New England. International clients welcome from Australia, New Zealand, Oceania, South Africa, UK, Brazil, Caribbean, Russia, Central America