Great Plains Consultant: Data Migration and Conversion
Microsoft Dynamics GP, or former ERP name – Great Plains Dynamics and eEnterprise, being implemented often requires initial or even ongoing data migration, data massage in Excel, preparing data in EDI complaint format either importing into GP or exporting from there to place order with your EDI vendors and suppliers.
In this publication we would like to share with you some common data integration and conversion techniques
1. Dynamics GP Integration Manager. IM should be reviewed first, prior to considering other data integration and migration options and tools. Assuming that you are implementing new GP version, such as Great Plains 10.0 (current at this time, September 2008), you should know technical side of new connectors available – eConnect technology. eConnect revolutionizes IM, as it breaks through performance hurdle and provides several hundred documents per minute, depending on the document type. If you have your conversion data in ODBC compliant database, we recommend you to consider advanced ODBC query in IM. Advanced ODBC allows you to do union, group by, having, sum, max and other standard SQL queries (obviously ODBC places some restrictions, but they are typically not critical and not a show stoppers)
2. IM and Text Files. If your legacy data export is not really flexible and what you get is old fashion text report, do not give up, if you design Advanced ODBC query over Text Driver, you can weed out blank lines, headers, comments and other rows, non participating in integration
3. Data Conversion Strategies. If you think that you can import “everything”, you probably should review conversion scenarios and their cost and vulnerability to flaws and errors. When you switch over from your old legacy MRP to new accounting application, you should consider smooth transition, where you leave your legacy system for data inquiry for several years, while new system crosses reasonable data collection time frame to virtually shut down the old ERP
4. Master Records Migration. Try to evaluate first so-called master records conversion: GL accounts, customers, vendors, employees and addresses. Then you simply enter GL beginning balances and switch over daily data entry to your newly implemented Dynamics GP Great Plains. This approach is the best, the most reliable and the most cost efficient and errors proof
5. GP historical data conversion. This conversion is something that we would like to discourage you to do. It is possible, however it is not easy and you should review the feasibility from the stand point of the budget, the efficiency and the end result. You may get final results, however you will spend high budget with modest performance
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Andrew Karasev, Alba Spectrum, LLC, http://www.albaspectum.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-866-528-0577, serving Great Plains Dynamics GP community since 1994. Please visit our information portal Pegas Planet: http://www.pegasplanet.com. GP, SAP B1 local service in Chicago, Naperville, San Diego, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas. We specialize in ERP remote support and we cover the whole territory or the USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean, Pacific, UK, Australia, New Zealand. US States covered: IL, CA, FL, WA, DC, NY, MI, PA, AZ, TX, LA, GA, AL, HA, IN, WI, AL, KA, IO, NV, NM, CO, SC, NC, DE, MA.