Steps to fix Windows 8 Master Boot record
The boot error caused because of corrupt or missing Master Boot Record, damaged boot sector, or broken Boot configuration data store. It can be easily fixed by using the special commands in the command prompt window of Windows RE.
As Windows 8 is the stable version of Microsoft windows operating system, but that doesn’t means it will never face any stability issue with its OS. Sometimes it happens that your system fail to boot, even if your hardware’s is working properly, it’s significantly the boot error caused because of corrupt or missing Master Boot Record, damaged boot sector, or broken Boot configuration data store. It will not allow loading BIOS, instead will display a message “boot information cannot be found”. Now the great question why this happens? The reason behind is that it may happen because of malware entered to your system or you have installed an earlier version of windows over an existing installation. Before, proceeding further let me explain you what is Master Boot record.
A Master Boot Record (MBR) is a special type of boot sector at the very beginning of partitioned computer mass storage devices. It contains the information regarding local partitions containing file systems, which are organized on that medium. It works as an independent chain boot loader and are not present on non partitioned media.
The steps to fix Windows 8, missing or broken Master Boot Record are as follows,
· Insert windows 8 installation disk into the optical drive of your system.
· Select repair your computer on “install now” screen.
· Choose troubleshoot followed by advanced options in the next screen.
· Launch command prompt windows, from the advanced options.
· Enter the command “bootrec.exe/fixmbr” in the command prompt window.
· After finishing the command, reboot your computer in the normal way.
If the problem, still persist even after rebuilding the Boot Configuration Data (BCD), export and delete the BCD and then run this option again. It will completely rebuilt the BCD and steps to do so are as follows,
· Open Windows RE command prompt.
· Type the following commands,
Ø bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
Ø cd boot
Ø attrib bcd -s-h–r
Ø ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Ø bootrec /RebuildBcd
When you have removed nonstandard code from the MBR, you can resolve MBR corruption issue by writing code “/FixMbr” in the Windows RE command prompt. You can also use code “/FixBoot” to write a new boot sector to the system partition by using a compatible boot sector, if you face any of the following situation,
· The boot sector got replaced with a nonstandard boot sector.
· The boot sector is damaged.
· Windows NT Loader file got loaded instead of Windows Boot Manager, if you have installed an earlier version of windows after the new one.
Friends, these are the ways by which you can fix your start up problem which normally comes because of corrupt or missing Master Boot Record file. Please be sure that once you have finished your work, comes out of command prompt window and restart your computer to give happy ending to your work.
As Windows 8 is the stable version of Microsoft windows operating system, but that doesn’t means it will never face any stability issue with its OS.
If the problem still persists, you can call me on my toll free number 1-855-351-1816. You can even visit site www.impcsupport.com, it provides online technical support, windows maintenance tools and so on.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
1. Bella Martin received the Master degree in software engineering in 2006 and currently serving as a software engineer at Impcsupport. She provides informative articles on Online PC Support, PC technical support, windows support, computer maintenance tools and software’s.