Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint Articles
Thursday, June 27, 2019
Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint ArticlesRegisterAll CategoriesTop AuthorsSubmit Article (Article Submission)ContactSubscribe Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint Articles

Name change service in the UK

Any person that is 16 or over and is resident in the United Kingdom can legally change their name at any time. You can change your name for any reason providing it is not to deceive anyone (e.g. To avoid paying a debt or fulfilling an obligation). The cheapest way to change your name is to simply ask people to start calling you by your new name - this is known as a name change by usage.

While changing your name by usage is the most cost effective (free) option, you may run into problems further down your name change route. The problems will usually start arising when you are trying to get particular official documents changed to your name name. Government agencies such as the DVLA and the Identity and Passport Service (formerly UK Passport Service) will require what is called "documentary evidence" of your name change before they will reissue your documents. You will also find that many private companies and organisations such as financial institutions and utility providers require documentary evidence of your change of name before they will amend their records.

Documentary evidence is a term given to describe a document that will be accepted by government departments, private companies and organisations to change a persons name. You would describe the following as documentary evidence that can be used to change your name:

  • Marriage certificate will allow a woman to change her surname to that of her new husband
  • Civil partnership certificate will allow a partner to change their surname to the surname of the other partner
  • Decree absolute certificate will allow a woman to revert to the surname she was using before the marriage
  • Civil partnership dissolution certificate will allow a civil partner to revert to the surname they were using before the partnership began
  • Death certificate will allow a widow to revert to the surname they were using before the marriage or civil partnership
  • Adoptive birth certificate will allow an adopted child to use their new family's surname

If you wish to change your name for any reason that is not listed above (marriage, civil partnership, adoption, etc), you will need to provide documentary evidence of your name change before you will be able to get official documents and records amended. Deed polls act as the documentary evidence required in order to prove your change of name and ensure that all government agenciesBusiness Management Articles, private companies and other organisations will update or reissue their records and documents without delay.

Article Tags: Name Change, Documentary Evidence, Private Companies, Using Before

Source: Free Articles from


I am Cherub Atkins a marketing professional and college instructor based in Boston. My work has appeared in Field, Colorado Review, and Zoetrope. In 2002, I received a residency at Soapstone and am currently working on a deed poll.For more information about me just visit

Home Repair
Home Business
Self Help

Page loaded in 0.076 seconds