Everyone in Alberta needs mandatory insurance for their car. However, only a few drivers and owners really understand the different policies and buy the right cover that fits within their budget. Especially during renewal, if you don’t shop around for cheap car insurance, you might end up paying at least a 10% hike in your premium costs. We bring you the top 8 tips to secure a cheap car insurance:
1. Downsize Your Car While it may be appealing to buy a bigger and expensive car, it can cost you a lot more to insure it in the long run. If you’re looking for an affordable policy with good coverage, it’s better to buy a smaller car that serves your purpose.
2. Leverage the Competition in the Market Today, there are numerous insurance companies offering great deals to customers. You can play this competition to your advantage by mentioning a deal that another company has made you and thus, get better discounts from the company you want.
3. Pay Premiums Yearly Rather than paying your premiums on a monthly basis, try paying them annually and you’ll be able to save hundreds of dollars.
4. Drive Better One of the best ways to secure a cheap insurance is to be a better driver. When you improve your driving safety, reduce the number of accidents on your record and install devices that can monitor your driving patterns, you have a great opportunity to get an excellent rate from your insurance company.
5. Re-evaluate Your Policy Every Year Rather than opting to blindly renew your policy, make it a point to always check the rates when it’s time to renew. Insurance companies tend to change their premiums based on market fluctuations and demand. You might not realise this increase unless you check other policy prices before renewals.
6. Restrict new drivers on vehicle usage This will increase your premium rates. If it is substantial increase you may need to restrict your new driver from driving your vehicle. If you do not declare a new driver you will be at risk of your insurance being nil and void.
7. Opt for Lower Coverage and Higher Deductible As much as possible, choose the minimum coverage as per the Alberta insurance regulations if you want to stick to a lower premium cost. If you have an older car, you can also skip comprehensive and collision coverage. Try keeping your deductible as high as you can afford to pay as this will also drastically bring down your insurance premium rates.
8. Request for All Possible Discounts Always ask your insurance broker about the various discounts that you can apply for. These can include occupational discounts, paperless statement discount, garage parking discount, anti-theft discounts, affiliation discounts and more. Most companies don’t advertise these offers but your broker will be able to find you the perfect discounts that match your requirements.
You can always get a cheap car insurance for your car if you shop around, ask for discounts and keep your eyes open for the best deals in town!