Different ways for Tackling fear of dentists
Dental hygiene is very important for the good health of the entire body. By avoiding a trip to the dentist we are putting the entire body in harmís way. That is what happens when you are scared of your dentist.
Some people go to the dentist once and the next time they ever visit one is with their children. Can be anything from cosmetic dentistry, teeth whitening, or getting new clear braces or veneers. In a survey among people in Surrey, Byfleet, Hampton, Whitton, Twickenham, and Weybridge people were asked what scared them, a majority of them said it was needles.
With such a mass fear the thing is that a mouth disease can remain unchecked. The reason being whatever always produces stress in people. What people can do is fight their anxiety.
Anxiety can cause mental stress which can sometimes increase the amount of pain experienced by people. So lets enlist some areas of anxiety:
1. Past experiences: People do not always return relieved from their treatment. A bad procedure can mar your experience.
2. Aversion to sight, sound and smell: This is a main factor where the environment appears hygienic deficient to you. Ickiness can cause anxiety.
3. Invasion of private space : Some people do not like the idea of having someone with their tools up your face. This can be more distaste than fear.
Here is a way to take the anxiety out of the trip to the dentist:
1. Watching TV: The distant sounds of the television can give an impression of people in the room. Also some random unexpected moments might take your mind off the procedure you will go through .
2. Listening to music in the background: Music enthusiasts or otherwise, everyone responds positively to softly playing melodious music and find it cathartic in times of stress. That is why you find the music in lifts so that people in a hurry donít stampede out.
3. Signalling: Dentists tell you that they will stop any time you want to stop whenever you signal them to do so. It is comforting to the patient that he has the option to stop anytime the pain is high and knowing that he comfortably rides out the experience.
4. In extremes: Get sedated by laughing gas. You can always ask the dentist to provide you with this option. It can be pretty comical but you wonít feel a thing with laughing gas and things will be done smoothly before you know it.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Loria Hasey is an experienced counsellor in stress management with 20 years of successful experience. Stay connected with her for more updates on the topic.