An exercise bicycle is a stationary bicycle used as exercise equipment, not as transportation. An exercise bicycle is usually a special-purpose exercise machine resembling a bicycle, but it is also possible to adapt an ordinary bicycle for stationary exercise, either by placing it on rollers or a trainer.
Exercise bikes come in two types
• Upright BikeAn upright bike looks like a regular bike. A high intensity workout can be reached on this type of bike as you can stand on the pedals, leaving the seat. Some riders have problems with their knees on an upright bike. Upright exercise bikes are great for many reasons, but mostly they take up very little room (as compared to some pieces of cardio exercise equipment), and they allow you a great workout without as much impact as many traditional forms of cardiovascular exercise. Because there is not a lot of bouncing around when you ride a stationary exercise bike, it makes it easy to watch TV, listen to music or read a book while you workout. Upright exercise bikes are perfect for people who want a great, low impact workout in a limited space.
• Recumbent BikeA recumbent bike reclines at an angle. Many have bucket seats that offer back support. Some riders find less strain on their knees and back. Some riders feel that a less intense workout is achieved on a recumbent bike. You can always try for yourself. The recumbent exercise bike provides the body with more relaxation while exercising. The body is more reclined than an upright exercise bike, and the seat will generally have a back to it for a resting position. For this reason, a recumbent bike is usually very beneficial for someone with back problems. Also, your legs will be out in front of you instead of below you, so resistance from the pedals may be a bit higher. The recumbent exercise bike is a fantastic machine for anyone who enjoys a more relaxing workout with less intensity, but it will still get your heart rate up and keep you active.
Benefits of Exercise Bikes:
• One of the top benefits of exercise bikes is that they are probably the most affordable piece of exercise equipment on the market right now. Starting around $200 and ranging up to $2500, exercise bikes offer a huge variety of models for every price range and every exercise level.
• Another great benefit of exercise bikes is that they provide a much lower impact on your joints and ligaments than other piece of exercise equipment like a treadmill or stair climber. This can result in less chance of sustained injury over time and can also be great for people with joint problems, arthritis, etc.
• Another recent factor that has made the exercise bikes much more comfortable to use is the introduction of the recumbent exercise bike - where you sit in a semi-reclined bucket seat with your legs angled out in front of you instead of hanging down.
• Exercise bikes can also be much safer than other forms of exercise equipment. You can slip and fall on a treadmill. You can lose your balance on an elliptical trainer. It's much more difficult to fall off or injury yourself on an exercise bike. This makes the exercise bike a great alternative for the elderly exerciser or someone who is new to exercise equipment in general.
• Another factor that makes the exercise bike so popular in home gyms is the fact that (with a recumbent bike) you can read while you're exercising. Boredom is one of the main reasons people don't exercise. So instead of forcing yourself to trudge through your workout, why not choose a piece of exercise equipment that's going to allow you to multitask and do what you want while working out?
Find information on Books at http://www.lookbookstores.com
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Vinay ChoubeySEO Managervinay@halfvalue.com