Lamictal Drug - Precaution
It helps to control some types of seizures in the treatment of epilepsy. Epilepsy is a neurological condition, which affects your nervous system. Epilepsy is also known as seizure disorder. Lamotrigi...
Lamotrigine is a drug of the class phenyltriazine which is chemically unrelated to existing antiepileptic drug. Lamictal has been clinically approved that it helps in reducing seizure frequency when used with existing antiepileptic drug. Lamictal is not capable of curing epilepsy, but it helps by controling seizures as long as you continue to take it. Treatment of epilepsy is only possible if the person has had two seizures which are formed by any of the known medical conditions. Some of the known medical conditions which can cause seizures are alcohol withdrawal and low blood sugar level. It is not possible to catch the actual cause of seizures. It can also be a heredity problem or can be caused by any brain injury. The following are some precautionary measures you can take while taking Lamictal:
1. You are advised to visit your doctor regularly during the initial few months of your treatment with Lamictal. After learning your progress carefully, your doctor will be in a position to advise you about your dosage keeping in mind the possible side effects.
2. Lamictal can increase the effects of alcohol and other central nervous system (CNS) depressants. Therefore you may feel more vulnerable after the consuming the usual amount of alcohol. If you consume alcohol or CNS depressants, consult your doctor before taking lamictal.
3. Some people can experience blurred or double vision, clumsiness, unsteadiness, dizziness while they are taking Lamictal.
4. Considering points 2 and 3, it becomes very important for you to know how this drug affects you. Only then you are advised to drive or use any machinery that can cause accident. If the above mentioned reactions persist for long, check with your doctor as soon as possible.
5. Some people can also experience skin rash, which can be looked at as a serious unwanted effect, you are advised to immediately check with your doctor. Also consult with your doctor immediately, if you experience fever, flu-like symptoms or if your seizures increase.
6. Lastly, if you are planning to stop taking Lamictal, check with your doctor and follow his instructions. Sudden withdrawal of lamictal can have some serious side effects. You doctor might advice you to reduce your dosage and gradually quit the medication than stopping it suddenly. If you do stop this medication suddenly, your seizures might return or occur more often.
Article Tags: Taking Lamictal
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jatin Chawla is a freelance journalist. Jatin writes for http://www.shopeastwest.com/med offering valuable information on Lamictal Drug.