Step-by-Step System for the Ultimate Hygiene Exam
Do you know how to make sure your office has the Ultimate Hygiene Exam? Follow these step by step instructions so you have it every time.
Greet patient by name with a handshake
• "Hi, Ms. Jones. My name is Rachel and I will be taking care of you."
Escort patient to treatment room
Ask patient for any questions/concerns they may have
• "Have you noticed any changes with anything in your mouth? Do you have any questions or concerns before we start today?"
Take Blood Pressure and record in chart
Review Medical History
• "Are you taking any medication, supplements or over-the-counter drugs? Are you taking aspirin daily? Have you had any surgery or new diagnoses since your last visit?"
Take radiographs if necessary
• Observe bone level and compare to periodontal probe readings
Do extra-oral head/neck oral cancer screening
• "Ms. Jones, I am going to be my exam by feeling for any unusual lumps or bumps on your face and neck. Is that ok? Have you noticed any lumps or bumps?"
Do intra-oral cancer screening
• Complete a visual exam
Complete general intra-oral exam
• Observe restorations, teeth and gums
Complete 6-point periodontal examination
• "Ms. Jones, I am now going to do a very thorough exam of your gums. This exam looks for signs of gum disease. I will be taking several measurements on each tooth and you will hear me call out lots of numbers. If you hear numbers that are 1-3 with no bleeding, that indicates that your gums are healthy and normal. Any numbers you hear that are 4 or higher or if you hear me say there are many areas of bleeding, that is a sign of gum infection. I will review all the numbers when the exam is finished"
Determine patient's periodontal status: healthy, gingivitis, periodontal disease
Share your observations with the patient
• Share with patient their periodontal status-healthy or infected
Take intra-oral photographs
• If patient has periodontal disease, take photos of inflamed, bleeding tissues and/or visible calculus.
Create periodontal treatment plan or preliminary restorative plan for doctor approval
Call Doctor for exam (doctor may do exam any time after hygiene exam is complete)
• Doctor confirms all findings and makes final diagnosis
Begin hygiene service
• Prophy for healthy patients
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Owner of Inspired Hygiene, Rachel Wall helps dentists tap into hygiene’s profit potential. Rachel draws from her 19 years of experience as a hygienist and practice administrator to deliver proven solutions for increased revenue and productivity. Inspired Hygiene’s programs include in-office coaching, the High Performance Hygiene Mastermind group and the High Performance Perio webinar series. Get your copy of Rachel’s FREE audio CD “Top 3 Secrets to Increased Hygiene Co-Diagnosis” at http://www.inspiredhygiene.com/.