Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint Articles
Tuesday, March 26, 2019
Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint ArticlesRegisterAll CategoriesTop AuthorsSubmit Article (Article Submission)ContactSubscribe Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint Articles

The Allergist and You

An allergist is a physician that has specialized training in the treatment and diagnosis of asthma, allergic conditions, and immune system diseases. This doctor can treat patients with bee sting, medication, latex, and food allergies.

and food allergies.

If you think that the medical problems that you are experiencing is due to an allergy, it is important to learn about the type of doctor that treats allergic problems, in addition to getting a proper diagnosis. An allergist is a medical doctor that treats those with allergic and immunologic diseases. This doctor has completed 4 years of college and 4 years of medical school, plus residency training in either pediatrics or internal medicine for 3 years. Next, the doctor must pass a tough examination to become board certified.

When the doctor becomes board certified, he or she may decide to get additional training in immunology or allergies for an additional two years called a fellowship. A board certified allergist is a person who has satisfactorily completed an additional exam indicating that they have competence in fields of immunology and allergies.

An allergist can offer treatment and medical advice in the management and evaluation of those with immune and asthma problems, as well as allergic conditions. This doctor has expertise in treating all kinds of asthma and allergic conditions and is able to interpret and perform allergy testing. They also are able to prescribe shots. A patient is usually referred by their primary care physician to the doctor, who diagnoses and treats conditions such as:

- Urticaria (hives)
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Chronic sinus infections
- Chronic cough
- Allergic eye diseases
- Asthma
- Allergic rhinitis
- Immune problems
- Bronchitis
- Frequent colds

Most allergies stem from a genetic connection or can come from a reaction to a person's environment. Coming into contact with substances such as certain foods, bug bites, dust mites, mold spores, medicine, and pet dander can trigger allergies. Some of the following are common reasons that may necessitate going to see a doctor.

- You have asthma that causes frequent symptoms that affect sleep, work, school etc.
- You experience recurrent skin rashes.
- You have an asthma attack that put you in the hospital.
- You or your child has moderate to severe eczema.
- You have a moderate to severe food allergy.
- Severe reactions to bee stings, mosquito bites, or ant bites.
- Recurrent allergic rhinitis symptoms that lead to recurrent sinus issues or affect your lifestyle.

If you are experiencing severe allergies and need to see a doctorFree Articles, contact the offices of a reputable allergist that will provide you with the personalized attention and care you need. You can also see if walk-ins are welcome for those times when you need to see the doctor right away.

Source: Free Articles from


Home Repair
Home Business
Self Help

Page loaded in 0.038 seconds