The Danger of Holiday Diets
Diets are the fad of the Holidays! Discover exactly why diets destroy your metabolism and what you can do to shed the fat and shine as you celebrate this festive season.
Looking to shed the fat this holiday season?
While we all have the best of intentions to take the necessary steps to look and feel our absolute best so we can truly shine this holiday season, many fall into some unknowing traps that actually hinder our weight loss goals.
The most common and devastating trap - your diet!
So allow me to ask, what is your diet strategy?
"Eat less, weigh less, right?"
Yes and no.
In order to achieve successful fat loss results, a caloric deficit must be created. You manage this by taking in slightly less calories than what you burn - be it daily activities, workouts or your basal metabolic rate.
I am not one to focus on or preach numbers, but when you are just getting started it is important to take an inventory of what is actually going into your body.
Easiest and fastest solution? Keep a food journal for at least 5 days making an effort to include at least one weekend day. Nothing fancy, just a running list of what you eat and drink and an estimate of how much.
A common response to seeing what everything we do eat is to cut back....most often it is cutting back too much.
Let's get into what happens when you do NOT eat enough. Reducing your calories by too much will actually backfire on your attempts to lose weight and feel your best this holiday season.
Ten Step Process of Following a Low Calorie "Diet"
1. You decide you want to lose weight, so you lower your calories.
2. Your body weight falls.
3. Your body tries to regain the original weight by becoming VERY energy efficient as it begins to SLOW metabolic processes.
4. Your body senses a loss of body weight and perceives the current low calorie diet as Starvation.
5. Sensing Starvation from low calories, your body begins to .... - slow your metabolic rate...again - hold on to fat stores for survival - learn how to function on fewer calories
6. Your Body now begins to look for alternative sources of fuel for energy
7. Your body adapts to your energy needs by burning lean muscle for fuel....which in turn lowers your metabolism even more.
8. You now become Tired, Lethargic, and find it extremely difficult to stay motivated.
9. To make matters worse, you now begin to Crave foods high in sugar and fat - - - your body is tricking you into increasing your calorie intake.
10. You spend a great deal of time teaching your body how to survive on low calories so that any increase in calories will be stored as fat.
Result => It is nearly impossible to keep this lifestyle up for a long period of time.
Who can stand the fatigue, the lack of energy, the mood swings? Who has the willpower to fight the hunger and extreme cravings day after day?
We are only human and will soon revert back to our old eating and lifestyle habits - but with the added feeling of "I'm a failure".
Once you begin to increase your calories, you quickly regain what you have lost and are likely to gain an extra 5 to 10 lbs. on top of that.
In order to achieve your fat loss goals, you must eat, you must eat often, and you must eat supportive foods.
Food is not your enemy.
Food is the facilitator of a healthy metabolism. By eating the right types of foods - unprocessed, whole foods - -at the right times -- every 3 to 4 hours- - you have the power to completely reshape your body.
Once you have these key eating strategies in place- food becomes your fat loss friend.
Discover the complete nutrition and exercise plan designed for busy moms who are in search of simple solutions to fat loss.
You have a few weeks to get your body back....you can do this!
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Holly Rigsby, CPT, Americas #1 Fat Loss Expert for Busy Moms. As the author of Fit Yummy Mummy- Burn Your Baby Fat & Get Your Body Back http://www.FitYummyMummy.com Holly has helped over 2.500 moms transform their bodies and reclaim a flat a flat tummy. Begin your transformation today with your Free "Get Your Body Back Pack" http://GetFitAndYummy.com . You only need 90 minutes a week!