Reading this article will help you to know about the various factors that you need to consider while buying a coffee table for your home.
A coffee table is one of the essential pieces of furniture in the living room. From being a central table that is used for placing the foods and beverages near the sofa to a platform for playing indoor games, it offers numerous benefits on a daily basis. Moreover, being placed in the expanse between the sofa set and the television, it serves as a focal point of attraction in the living room and therefore has a tremendous impact on the room's decor and ambiance. While a well-crafted and elegant looking wooden coffee table can inject a unique sophistication in the room, a poor choice can make it look drab and ugly. So, you need to be careful while buying it.
Read here to grab some valuable ideas that you need to consider while picking a coffee table for your home:
1) Style and design There are numerous styles of coffee tables available in the market these days. Some have simple and minimalist designs, while others have the ornate and intricate features like sculptures and carvings. But don't buy a coffee table just because you liked its outlook. Analyse your living room theme first, and choose something that can blend with it perfectly. For example, a coffee table that has ornate designs will look odd in a modern styled room where other furniture units have simple and sleek designs.
2)Check the size Before heading toward buying your coffee table, you need to measure the space where you will be placing it, so that you'd not end up buying a table that will not fit there.
Besides this, the size of this table should be proportional to the size of the sofa set that will be partnering it. Usually, most people like to have portable and small coffee table, but you can consider to buy a slightly bigger unit if there is sufficient space to place it. Along with this, keep in mind that its height should be a little more than the sofa seat for a balanced look.
3) Price The cost of these furniture units ranges from affordable to the costly ones. You should decide on a coffee table that fits your budget, as it is not practical to break the bank just to have a surface to place your drinks and coffee table books near the sofa. If you want your investment to be rational, then one great idea is to check the price of the product that you are supposed to buy at numerous online furniture stores.
4) Colour selection These tables can come in various hues of colour, and you should pick the one that goes well with the theme of your living room. Colours play a major role in completing the style that you want to have in your place. For instance, if you who want to evoke a rustic style, go for wooden furniture in darker shades; however if you desire to create a modern feel, then opt for a wooden furniture with mahogany, honey, or walnut finish.
5) Shape of the table Modern coffee tables are available in various shapes, and each of them has different usage. For example, a round table is perfect for homes that have kids because such table has no sharp corners to bump into and it is perfect for playing indoor games too. Similarly, a long and elongated rectangular coffee table is more practical for serving food and beverages to the guests as it can be accessed easily from all sides.
6) Functionality Before buying a coffee table, you need to think about the purpose of having it. Ponder over the questions like whether you want it to enhance the beauty of your living room or will it serve as storage space for the coffee table books. The more you research on your needs, the better choice you will be able to make.
7) Framework There are many materials that the modern furniture manufacturers use for making these tables such as wood, metal, wrought iron, and glass. While selecting the material, look for something that can last for long, and that matches the other furniture units which are already placed in the room.
Hope that the points that we have mentioned here will help you in choosing an appropriate coffee table for your home. If however, you are not able to find something that can meet your preferences, then you may also go for a custom-built unit. On a final note, you must purchase it from a reputed wooden furniture provider that has gained some good customers’ feedback in the past.
The author is a furniture designer working at Wooden Space. In his six years of career, he has designed many innovative furniture units for homes and offices. It is due to his present job at Wooden Space that has given him an opportunity to explore one of his hobbies, i.e., writing.