The Types of Roofing Materials You Should Consider
Roofing materials are designed to last a long time, but eventually they do need to be replaced. When the time comes to replace them, there are many important factors to consider in choosing the right materials to use. Although some types of shingles are more common than others, there are still quite a few different options available. Here is some information about the different types of roofing materials.
- Asphalt shingles: The most common type of roofing material used, they are made of either fiberglass or organic materials. They have a protective coating of asphalt and mineral granules that helps make them resistant to damage from weather. Although they are available in many colors, asphalt shingles are not very nice looking. They are lightweight and flat and comparatively inexpensive. This type of roofing can last around twenty or thirty years.†
- Wood shingles: Usually made of red cedar, wood shingles are thicker than asphalt shingles. They are coated with a fire retardant to make them safer to use. Since wood can soak up moisture, the roof has to be at a steeper angle for this type of shingle to be used. They require more maintenance because the wood needs to be treated every few years to preserve it and keep fungus from growing on it. Since they may be made of many different types of wood, these shingles can vary quite a bit in weight and price.
- Clay Tiles: This type of roofing can be extremely heavy, so the roof framing must be strong enough to support the weight. Clay tiles can be curved or flat, and are available in a wide variety of glaze colors. They are very expensive, and professional installation is even more pricy. The biggest benefit to clay tiles is that they can last up to a hundred years with minimal maintenance.
- Slate Tiles: Made from natural stone, slate tiles are resistant to fire and moisture problems. They vary in color depending on where the slate comes from. They are extremely costly and they weigh even more than clay tiles. Because they are so heavy, the roof framing typically has to be reinforced. Once it is installed, slate roofing can remain in good condition for over a hundred years.
- Concrete tiles: This type of roofing material can be made in various shapes and colors to resemble slate or clay tiles, or wood shingles. Concrete tiles are also available in molds that lock together, making them very easy to install. They too can weigh quite a bit, so the roof framing might need additional support. They are usually less expensive than clay and slate tiles, but cost more than wood or asphalt shingles.†
These are only a few in a long list of types of roofing materials. Choosing the right type typically depends on a number of considerations, such as the pitch of the roof, the climate of the region, and the individualís price range. Before replacing a roof, the best thing to do is carefully research the options and consult a professional.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Roofing Malvern PA will make sure that your home is not only beautiful, but well-protected from all of the outdoor elements. To find a roofer yourself you should visit the following site: http://www.cedarroof.com/.†