How and why to Build a Linking Strategy for your Web Site
Why would you want a linking strategy for your site?
the links to your site will multiply without any effort from you. This is
the most effective way to generate links to point to your site. In this
article we will discuss how to do this, debunk myths, and how to do this without
unintentionally harming your site's status. Debunking myths: Linking software
I personally don't approve of linking software that does the work for you. Why? Because the software does not do a good enough job where it can tell if the site it has the same theme or relative content that matches your site. Many errors slip through the process when this is done, that can cause damage to the reputation and rankings in the search engine. Also each site that you would like to link to you should have a decent PR ranking from Google to help your site's rankings. (PR ranking is a method that Google uses to put a value on the web site) If you have too many web sites pointing to you with a poor PR ranking it could actually make your site drop in the rankings. And in addition sites with excellent PR rankings would help your rankings a great deal.
Linking farms and automated link exchanges
Linking farms and automated link exchanges are not recommended for the same reasons as the linking software. Poor quality links and potentially harmful to your site. In addition these two methods carry another danger. If the site that links to has been put onto a black list for spam, and your site points to that site your web site will automatically get black listed and your rankings will go down as well. That is why I prefer one way links to your site instead of reciprocal links. It may sound hard to do, but it isn't and I will show you a way to do it below.
The more sites pointing to your site the better. Right?
Wrong! In the past search engines would rank you higher in the search engines by judging the value of your site to the number of links pointing to it. But because people have abused and try to cheat this system, the rules have changed. Now they actually penalize you for too many sites pointing to yours if they are deemed suspicious. For instance many other sites pointing to you with the same IP address (caused by you putting up mirror sites to build links), links that point to that do not have the same content as you ("once I saw a web design site having a reciprocal link with a lingerie site"), and links that have low PR rankings pointing to your site (in this case the more the merrier does not work).
"I've seen a site with only 10 links pointing to it (links from government sites) do better with searches than a site that had over 10,000 links pointing to it."
Another thing to consider: Google has just bought rights to register domain names. So, here is a theory of mine that may show up later. Google may update their algorithm to check links to see if the domain name those links are registered under contain the same registration information. This way it could penalize sites that register a bunch of domain names to point to their site and try to cheat the system.
"The only time you would like a lot of links pointing to your site is if they are from respectable sites, have a high PR ranking, and have relative content."
Who links to your site now?
An easy way to find this out is to type in link:www.yoursite.com into a search engine and you will receive a list of web sites currently pointing to you.
Are they quality links?
You can use Google toolbar located at their site to read the PR ranking, an add-on extension for Firefox, or visit a web site that will tell you the PR rankings of sites that you type in. If you type in page ranking tool in the search engines you'll find plenty of resources for this.
Who links to your competitors that are high in the search engines?
Examine and study the links to and from your competitors web site to learn more. And request links from the same people for your site.
How do I build links pointing to my site?
These are a list of ways to build links to your site that are one way links instead of reciprocal links. I highly recommend these ways to build a solid link foundation:
1) Content and more content. Content will increase your rankings in the search engine and people are more likely to link to you if you have valuable content. One time I had a large college link to one of the articles at my site for a research paper. The college had a high PR ranking and the link is in their archives. (This is a way to have your links multiply without the effort)
2) Add a link to us page to your web site. Where you can give the visitors to your site to apply a text link or banner. I recommend a text link to your site that contains keywords for your site. For example,web development contractor would point to my site via hyperlink. (This is a way to have your links multiply without the effort)
3) Start a blog on your site that people can go to and bookmark for the latest information in a category that relates to your site. (This is a way to have your links multiply without the effort)
4) Offer a free helpful 'how to' e-book to give away that has links inside of it that point to your site. (This is a way to have your links multiply without the effort)
5) Submit to online directories. Online directories usually have high PR rankings and get picked up by other directories and web sites to include on their sites.
6) Write a testimonial for a site you like that has the same relative content as yours. Chances are that if you praise their site and sign it with a link (to your site) of who praised them they will post it on their site giving you a free one way link.
7) Create a free article directory asking people to submit articles to your site, and in exchange for posting their articles on your site have them post a link on their web site stating where their article can be found. (your site) I've seen people put a list of where there article can be found to impress the visitors on how popular they are. (This is a way to have your links multiply without the effort)
8) Lastly, and most importantly write articles yourself! When I wrote my first article I submitted it to 25 places. (places with higher traffic views) and the next day over 180 sites were pointing to my web site, because I had a nice keyword enriched link pointing to my site in the article. The next day the total was over 300. How do you find out if they are pointing to your site? Type in your article title in quotes into the search engines and then you'll find out how many sites are posting your article on their site. (This is a way to have your links multiply without the effort)
One thing to do for sure is monitor your results. Who is driving the most traffic to me? Which ways of linking are producing multiplying links without any effort on my part? Which links are actually harmful to me? Do these links compliment my site? Do these things and I guarantee you that the links to your site will increase ten fold.
Be looking for more articles soon!
Copyright © Michael Rock
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
The owner of this registered company has over twenty years experience with DOS, windows business applications, numerous programming languages, artistic development, and web design. Other areas of interest include web marketing, web promoting, and business marketing and development. After the persuasion of those praising his work, he decided to go into business himself and highly suggests everyone else to do the same.