Moving - Bringing Your Pets With You
Moving a family’s pets is an important part of the relocation process. When a family decides to relocate to a new locale, they will have to give some thought to the best ways to move their pets.
Americans love their animals like the family members that they are. Cats, dogs, birds and other members of the animal kingdom enrich our lives and we certainly want to relocate them in comfort to their new home. Here are some things to think about:
- Check out the new neighborhood: If a person is moving to an apartment building or condominium, they will need to check the rules regarding whether their animal friends are allowed. Many apartments and condominiums have stringent regulations regarding our furry and feathered friends. Home owner’s associations may have regulations about the number and types of pets an individual or family may have on the property. This is to eliminate the problems of kennels or puppy farms being run in urban or suburban neighborhoods. While it may seem like a great idea to bring a goat along to keep down the weeds, the HOA may very well disagree with you.
- Traveling with you in the car: If a family is traveling to their new place in their automobile, they may choose to tote along Rover and Fluffy at the same time. This may work out just fine, but they might want to do some trial-run car time first. Many pets get carsick or nervous on a long journey. Having a consultation with the vet will allow some remedies to be available, just in case. Sedatives may help the furry traveler relax and sleep the whole way.
- Hotels that allow cats and dogs: Some hotels and motels will allow Fido into the room overnight for a modest fee. It’s worth checking into in order to not be stranded along the route with no room for Rover.
- Plane travel: Airlines will also transport mans’-best-friend for an extra fee. Some tiny pooches or kitties are able to fit under the seat in their carrier while others will have to be caged and placed in the baggage section. It’s important to plan this detail well in advance and to select an airline that will take good care of your pets.
- Transport services: Many moving companies or transport services specialize in the transportation of pets. They realize how dear these beings are to us and offer sensitive and comfortable options. Many individuals who own these services are loving dog or cat owners themselves.
- Be sure to pack their luggage, too: Leashes, food and water dishes, favorite toys and blankets will all make them more comfortable. Medications and doggie potty bags are essential items, as well.
- Give extra TLC before, during and after the trip: Take them on walks, cuddle them and hold them on your lap in order to make the experience more comfortable for all concerned.
- Vet records: Notify the veterinarian that your family is moving in order to have Fluffy’s records ready to send on to the next health care practice. Records of all immunizations, past illnesses, surgeries or allergies should be brought or sent to the new practitioner’s office.
Relocation can be an exciting adventure. Taking the proper steps to relocate the family dog, cat, fish, hamster or snake will make moving a good experience for all.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Philadelphia moving includes pets, adding an extra layer of stress and difficulty for non-pros. Find out more about it at http://www.angieslist.com/