Looking for Motorcycle Helmets?
It is a must to wear motorcycle helmet every time you went out for a ride. However, before purchase a helmet learn first the different types of motorcycle helmet in the market today and their purposes.
No rider should ride without wearing a helmet. This is a very important rule every rider should follow if they wanted to stay safe while on the road. In fact, helmet is one of the most important safety gears and considered by the MSF as the best protective gear you should wear while riding out on your motorcycle.
There are different kinds of helmet available in the market today. To some people helmet is just a hat-like gear riders wear when riding but to a motorcycle rider, it is not that simple. There are several types of motorcycle helmet; full-face, three quarter shell, flip-up helmet, motocross helmet and half shell helmets. These helmets have different purpose. Most of the time, the kind of bike you ride determines the kind of motorcycle helmet you use.
1. Full-face motorcycle helmet – this kind of helmet covers your entire head and most of the face. The shell of the helmet extends from your brow, going down at the base of the skull; encompass the cheekbones, the jaw and the chin. This kind of helmet gives a wrap-around appearance.
2. Three quarter shell motorcycle helmet – this kind of helmet is similar to a full-face helmet however it does not cover the entire face. The shell of the helmet covers the head up to the base of the ears and secured by a strap at the chin.
3. Half shell motorcycle helmet – this kind of helmet is also known as beanie helmets. It covers the top half of the cranium only. This is the kind of helmet that is not heavy, less intrusive, do not block the ears and offer less resistance to the wind.
4. Flip-Up Helmet- This kind of helmet is also known as the modular or convertible helmet that is commonly seen on streets. It is similar to full-face helmet but looks like an open face helmet also.
5. Motocross Helmet- This kind of helmet is famous as the off-road helmet and is commonly used for performance purposes. It has a chin bar with an elongated base and visor that provides better protection and view.
Now that you are quite familiar with the different kinds of motorcycle helmet, you need to learn about the four basic components of a helmet.
1. The outer shell that is made from fiber-reinforced composites and is designed to compress when you hit a hard object.
2. The impact-absorbing liner that is found inside of the shell of a helmet is made of expanded polystyrene. Its purpose is to absorb shock.
3. The comfort padding is a soft foam and cloth layer inside the shell that is designed to make you comfortable.
4. The retention system or the chin strap is used to secure the helmet on your head.
These are the different styles of a motorcycle helmet, its part and purpose. You can choose what kind of helmet to use but remember that on some US states, motorcycle helmets must met the standard of DOT and must have a DOT sticker.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Mench Charles believes that some things can't be easily achieved, because you have to work hard for it. The same thing is true if you want to learn how to ride a motorcycle. There are many advantages in riding a motorcycle. However,learn how to ride a motorcycle properly first.