The Advantages and Disadvantages of Cross Platform Mobile App Designing
The year 2011 was marked by mobile apps becoming the most accepted component in small & large enterprises. The year 2012 made deployment of mobile apps which could run on multiple platforms compulsory in all enterprises.
This concept, known as cross platform mobile app development, has come across as a challenge to application designers, especially such app development companies that have limited resources. Though the concept of cross platform development is one of the most accepted strategies in the mobile industry, it is definitely not the most ideal of solutions available to a mobile app developer. Here we take a look at the advantages & disadvantages of cross platform mobile app designing.
Advantages of Cross Platform Framework
1. Reusable Code Writing of specific actions or sequences is not required for each OS platform. Developers can write the code once during the development process and use the same for app designing on other platforms.
2. Plugins The major tools of cross platform framework, like PhoneGap & Appcelerator, allow access to modules and plugins, thus enabling easy plugging into other tools & services.
3. Low Development Cost The cost involved in designing apps using the cross platform framework comes down considerably as no investment has to be made in teams or individual developers specific to one ecosystem in spite of the fact that one app is used over multiple platforms.
4. Support for Cloud Services This framework gives app developers the option to integrate apps with cloud services like AWS, Salesforce.com, Box.net, etc.
5. Easy for Web Developers Most tools under the cross platform framework comprise scripting languages such as CSS3 & HTML5 that are dynamic in nature. This makes for an easy transition for web developers who quickly switch over to this framework.
6. Easily Deployable Compiling & deploying of apps is a quicker process when using cross platform tools. This leads to saving time & effort in the app development process.
Disadvantages of Cross Platform Framework
1. Does Not Support Features of All Operating Systems & Mobile Devices Every time an operating system or mobile device company adds a new feature, the developer must update the cross platform tool in order to enable the use of these features.
2. Code Does Not Run Fast The codes written as part of cross platform mobile app development can sometimes run so slow that developers are compelled to opt for native app building.
3. Use of Personal Tools Not Allowed A developer must be satisfied with using the tools that come along with a cross platform framework. This means that he/she will have to forego IDE preferences. Only PhoneGap is an exception in this regard as it allows use of native IDEs.
4. Limited 3D Support & Graphics For game centric apps, cross platform tools may fail to provide the high end 3D & graphic support otherwise required.
Like every strategy used for mobile application development, the cross platform framework is also not free from hazards. However, it is the most effective tool of app designing in todays competitive mobile market.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Copper Mobile holds expertise in iOS, BlackBerry, Android, iPhone and iPad developers. The mobility consultants firm has team of mobile application developers has created over 300 applications on major mobile platforms.