The Features and Challenges of iOS 6
While there are talks on the introduction of the newest version of Apple’s operating system iOS 7, the Cupertino based technology giant has not confirmed the date of release of an updated software version.
Features of iOS 6:
1. Built in Maps Application – iOS 6 has a built in Maps app that uses the vector based engine of Apple for operations. This helps eliminating the lag which sometimes occurs if users want to download bitmaps from the Google server. If lags are eliminated, it also means a smoother zooming procedure for the Maps application. The Maps app comes with other major changes, but most of them can be accessed only in certain countries. Some of these new features are turn by turn navigation to aid in finding directions, 3D viewing of directions, and watching real time traffic. It is to be noted here that the turn by turn navigating feature is available only when iOS 6 is running on iPhone 4S or iPad 2 or other Apple mobile devices which have cellular capability. 3D viewing on the other hand can be used in only the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and iPod Touch 5th generation.
2. Download of Podcasts not Allowed – A major change in iOS 6 is the inability of downloading Podcasts by using the regular iTunes app. All users of this operating system are requested to download only the official app of Podcasts in order to continue smooth operations.
3. Retrieving Documents is Easier – iOS 6 makes the retrieval of documents such as boarding passes, coupons, admission tickets, or loyalty cards easier through the use of the new Passbook application. This app is scanned under a reader, enabling mobile payments to be made at any participating location. The context-aware features of the Passbook app provide notifications for a relevant coupon whenever it is placed in the vicinity of a participating store.
4. Upgraded Siri Intelligent Personal Assistant – This application helps make quicker restaurant reservations, launch several apps, retrieve reviews and statistics of movies and sports respectively, and dictate updates on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook.
5. Facebook Integration – The Facebook app comes integrated with the native apps available with iOS 6. This allows users to directly access all Facebook features from within the App Store.
Challenges Posed by iOS 6:
1. Replacement of Maps App – In iOS 6, the Google Maps app has been replaced by Apple’s Maps app. This has received poor reception since the data in this application is either incomplete or inaccurate. It also has poor quality satellite imagery and does not provide support to transit maps.
2. Privacy Issues – Though there are targeted ad opt outs in iOS 6, it is easy for advertisers to identify users from access to other data. Moreover, Apple can also curate the user database and use it for marketing or selling purposes.
Hence, it can rightly be said that Apple’s iOS 6 provides both benefits and problems to the users. Nevertheless, several Apple devices were upgraded to iOS 6 as it was the company’s fastest development as mobile operating system.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Copper Mobile is a mobile application development companies in Noida with an experience of creating over 300 mobile apps. The enterprise application development backed by a team of renowned app developers in Dallas .