Trekking trips in Italy - How to discover the volcanoes of Italy
If you feel you have seen every cool things of the world, then read this simple article about a trekking tour on the volcanoes of Italy: The Etna and the Stromboli.
What is better than a mountain that gives us an enormous free gym area? The Sicily island is a concentrate of different travel experiences. Here it's possible to visit and conquest the largest volcanoes of Europe and the most active in the World: Mount Etna and Stromboli volcano. If you look for a unique experience...you found it!
Can you imagine a place where find so many unique experience?
* Where the terrain is similar to that one of Mars
* Standing on the top of a 3350 meter high mountain with the beach in front of you
* Real lava fountain getting down on the snow
Not only you could combine the positive effects of this hike, but you could discovery one of the most impressive landscapes of the south of Italy...the Sicily territory.
You don't need to be an athlete...this vacation is available for everyone.
These volcanoes, first of all Mount Etna, are deeply connected with the Sicilian culture. All volcanoes are well reachable, so every hiker has good chances to reach their summit craters. But be careful that the volcanoes are not extinguished at all and even in calm periods they emit gases.
The Etna is on the oriental coast of Sicily near the city of Catania. Its landscape is varied, prevalently mountains and hills. Still active, it is the biggest volcano in Europe, the whole of which is a protected area within a national park: very fit for day hikes! Although it is recommended to make excursions only in groups accompanied by expert mountain guides.
There are two point to start the Etna excursions: The north- Linguaglossa and the south- Nicolosi
The Stromboli volcano is one of the 7 Aeolian islands. The first stop is the “Sciara del Fuoco”. It is a sort of a vertical pipe where the lava flows down in the sea. From this point onwards be careful that the noise made by the mountain becomes very loud and sometimes the ground shakes. The view is impressive and the sulfuric fumes are strong. The volcano is reachable by boat from Milazzo (Messina)
Some tips to get a better trekking experience
The good hiker knows to beware of mosquitoes, falling rocks and itchy ivy. With the right guide, adventurers avoid being hurt in the wilderness while enjoying nature.
* You will also need warm clothes because climate is quite cold up there.
* Do not forget to bring a torch too
* Know your terrain. Search information on the area on the web.
* Know your environment. It's best to know which plants and animals in the area should be avoided.
* Be aware of weather. In the mountains the weather conditions are very different respect the location in the nearby
* It's better to be with a volcano guide to help you find the best paths (Or use a gps and a satellite phone)
* The emergency number in Italy is 113
* Be careful about what you pack
* It's generally better to be a little cool than too hot
* Put the slowest hiker in front and pace the group to that person
* Take regular breaks to admire the panorama
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Enrico Forte is an expert about trekking trips in the Sicily island. He is the owner of the web site Volcano Etna, a free tourist board about holiday accommodation Sicily tours and Aeolian island travel guides and volcano tours.