Great Plains Consultant: Remote Version Upgrade Notes
If you have outdated version of Great Plains Dynamics, eEnterprise: 9.0, 8.0, 7.5, 7.0, 6.0, 5.5, 4.0, Great Plains on Pervasive SQL or Ctree/Faircom, or even Great Plains Accounting for DOS and Windows: 9.5, 9.2 or earlier versions, there is the way to update to current Microsoft Dynamics GP version 10.0 (or what is current on the moment, when you are reading these lines).
Plus, the good news is if you are in USA, Canada countryside, where local onsite service is limited modern remote support technologies: VPN, remote desktop connections and web sessions can help you and will allow you to reduce Dynamics GP version update cost
1. Establishing remote connection or VPN. Probably the best way is to open your server to remote GP technician via VPN. Virtual Private Network or VPN encrypts its traffic and when consultant is connected, she or he could make remote desktop connection to your Server, which has local IP address: 10 or 192 series
2. SQL database upgrade options. In the case f you are on SQL Server option, it is enough to make DB backup, upload it to your Great Plains consultant ftp site and all work could be done in their office with following download back to your server and mounting databases there
3. Great Plains Update paths. If you are on version 9.0 or 8.0, upgrade has only one step. Please note, that you will need to apply current GP 10.0 service pack (if upgrade to version 10.0) do not try to upgrade to 10.0 without service pack there are numerous known issues. Plus GP 10.0 has newly redesigned security model and the way to transfer old security is to apply GP 10.0 SP2. If you are on earlier versions, then you will need to find the way to upgrade to 9.0 or 8.0 very popular path is from GP 7.5 to 9.0
4. Migration to MS SQL Server. If you are on version 7.5 or earlier with Ctree or Pervasive SQL DB, then you should be aware about GP migration tool. If you have Intellisol POP or Project Accounting please check with us on conversion tool
5. GPA for DOS and Windows upgrade or support options. If you have GPA for Windows, you can move it as single user to Windows XP computer. If you have your reg key for DOS only, you will need to stay with Windows 98. Great Plains Accounting migration to Great Plains is available for retroactive version GP 7.5. If you are still on GPA, likely that you are very sensitive to upgrade budget and it is probably OK for you to stay with Great Plains Accounting. We recommend you to file change VAR form to Alba Spectrum and have us support your potential issues in most of the cases GPA has only hard disk space size or hardware failures, otherwise it is pretty solid, if you are the kind of person, who likes to work with DOS ERP application
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Andrew Karasev, Alba Spectrum, LLC, http://www.albaspectum.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-866-528-0577, serving Great Plains Dynamics GP community since 1994. Please visit our information portal Pegas Planet: http://www.pegasplanet.com. GP, SAP B1 local service in Chicago, Naperville, San Diego, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas. We specialize in ERP remote support and we cover the whole territory or the USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean, Pacific, UK, Australia, New Zealand. US States covered: IL, CA, FL, WA, DC, NY, MI, PA, AZ, TX, LA, GA, AL, HA, IN, WI, AL, KA, IO, NV, NM, CO, SC, NC, DE, MA.