Apply For A Pell Grant Successfully!
Wanting to apply for a Pell Grant? Make sure you meet the required criteria and your documents are submitted correctly!
When you have made the decision to apply for a Pell Grant then you need to act on it as soon as possible. Why is this, you may ask. It's because the Pell Grant is distributed to students on a first-come basis, providing of course that they meet the required criteria. With the enormous amount of students that apply for this grant each year, it means that if you don't want to miss out, then your application needs to be received as early as possible. In other words, don't be lulled into a false sense of security by the spring deadline. When the money runs out, so too do the Pell Grants.
Applying for any type of grant assistance is usually quite tedious, and the Pell Grant is no exception. There is a procedure that must be followed and the reward makes the effort worthwhile. To make it easier for you, we have outlined below a suggested list of steps.
1. Get your application in early. Don't wait until everyone is talking about it and there is a rush to make it before the deadline. There is plenty of documentation that has to be provided, and trying to do this at the last minute is going to cause you grief. Think of the people having to process all the applications for the Pell Grant. Isn't it much better that they receive yours when they are not so rushed?
2. Do you meet the required criteria? Before you apply for a Pell Grant check that you are eligible.
3. You will be required to provide financial documents, such as tax returns and W2s, as well as forms of identity such as driver's license and current bank statements. If you are still at home there will be forms for your parents to complete if y you are still their dependent.
4. Complete your FAFSA application and forward it. These are usually available from the school counselor's office or the financial aid office. Don't forget to make a copy of all of your application materials before you send them away. It is far better to have this little peace of mind, just in case your application goes missing and you have to quickly submit another one. Not that it happens very often, but it is also good to keep for your own records.
5. If you are accepted, you will receive a SAR or Student Aid Report, which will outline how much money you will receive. It will also provide instructions on how you are able to access your Pell Grant money.
Any student who is considering spending the time to apply for a Pell Grant should visit their official website. Often completing all the required documentation can present somewhat of a challenge the first time around. There should also be plenty of help available from the school counselor or the financial aid adviser. It is their job to help students with the application process.
Part-time students are also able to apply for a Pell Grant. Even students who are enrolled for less than part-time should still apply, as they will still be eligible to receive some money. The amount will be determined by their own individual circumstances. It is important to realize though, that you are not able to receive Pell Grant money from more than one college at a time.
Article Tags: Pell Grant
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Although he applied for a Pell Grant a way back, in his high school times, Sam Butler runs a website Grants-Review.com helping applicants to succeed today!