Wet Carpet Basements Proper and Safe Flood Restoration
Whether from weather-induced flooding, a burst pipe or a sump pump problem, having a wet basement, particularly a wet carpet, can create big headaches. Always address your wet rug immediately by cleaning and drying it.
Here are some steps to deal with and save a Wet Carpet:
* Remove the carpet off the floor - If you have a wood floor, you better roll up the rug immediately and allow the floor to dry. In the case of a wall-to-wall carpet, which is way too heavy to carry, remove the water first by lifting it off the floor and propping it up using a sawhorse or something similar. When it becomes lighter, you can bring it out of your house for cleaning or disposal.
* Look out for professional cleaning service - If you just can't decide whether your carpet is worth saving or not, get the opinion of some expert carpet cleaners. They may charge you per square foot or by the hour for the time spent cleaning the carpet. Choose the steam cleaning service. In this method, cleaners extract the water and sanitize the wet carpet afterwards by applying chemicals. What's good about employing the services of professional cleaners is that they will do all the cleaning and drying. You just have to make your room ready for it again.
* Clean the carpet yourself - If you decide to clean the rug all by yourself, do the cleaning outside your house. There are steam cleaning machines for rent; all you need to do is to buy the right shampoo. If there's no available machine, don't lose hope, you can still do something to clean and save your carpet.
1. Look for a place in your yard with dry cemented area with full expose to the sun. Unroll the wet carpet flat in that area.
4. Sweep it again to push the cleaning foam and dirt off the carpet.
Carpet that has become wet must be dried within 48 hours, or mold can begin to grow. leaving the carpet unsalvageable.
Make sure the carpet is dry before bringing it inside the house. Also, protect yourself by washing your hands thoroughly with water and soap.
The above-mentioned steps may be simple but they will save your precious carpet from deterioration.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Graeme Stephens has been running the largest owned Carpet Cleaning Auckland, a leading Carpet Cleaning, Flood Restoration and Pest Control Company covering all Auckland post codes. Contact us today to ask about the services we can offer you.