Top 10 Questions for Your Prospective Painting Contractor
Consumers have many choices when selecting a painting contractor. Kevin Palmer Painting provides this short list of questions to help you decide which painting contractor is best for you.
Consumers have many choices when selecting a painting contractor. Here is a short list of questions to help you decide which painting contractor is best for you. Good luck!!
1. Can you tell me about yourself and your painting company? Your painting contractor should be able to discuss his or her areas of painting expertise, services offered, years in the business, references etc. Explanations should be straightforward, clear, and easily understandable. And they should speak directly to your needs.
2. Do you have a stable work force of experienced professional painters? How long on average has your staff been employed by you? Are your employees full-time professional painters? Can you describe how rigorous your training is in the latest application techniques, safety rules and regulations, and environmental issues? Tell me about our employees: How long have they been professional painters? Do you have a stable work force or a revolving door? Elaborate on your training, supervision, and quality control standards. Keep in mind the best paint job will be no better than the worst painter on site - experience counts!
3. What type of work do you specialize in? Residential, commercial, institutional? What is your contractor’s focus? Some painting companies’ painting work involves residential painting projects for homeowners who want the finest painting possible. Commercial painting customers may select a contractor for the quality of their painting work, their ability to meet schedules, and because they need a painting contractor who does the job right the first time, every time.
4. Can you describe your work process? Consumers want a contractor who takes great pride in providing the best paint jobs possible in all aspects of painting. Thorough analysis of a painting customer’s needs, meticulous and thorough surface preparation, and the finest application procedures utilizing the best techniques available carried out by the painting professionals are essential.
5. Can you provide references? Your contractor should be able to provide you with an extensive list of current and past clients. He or she should be able to provide numerous house painting references itemized by street, neighborhood, and town. Their website should feature numerous local references and a portfolio of recent painting projects.
6. What documentation can you provide regarding licenses and certifications? Painting contractors in many states are required to register with their state as a licensed contractor. Contractors should be happy to furnish a copy of their registration to any potential painting customer. Registration information should also be confirmed by contacting the appropriate Department of Consumer Protection.
7. Will your insurance agent provide me with a Certificate of Insurance? Substantiation of full insurance coverage including Workers Compensation, Liability, and Auto on all employees is an absolute necessity. The contractor’s insurance agent (NOT the contractor) should supply a Certificate of Insurance upon request.
8. Are you an EPA Lead-Safe Certified Firm? By Federal Law only EPA Certified Lead-Safe firms may undertake renovation projects on homes built before 1978. Your contractor should have undergone the required training and be an EPA Lead-Safe Certified Firm. Employees should be Certified Renovators in conformity with Federal RRP requirements. The contractor should be able to exhibit an EPA Lead-Safe Certified Firm logo.
9. Who are your paint suppliers? Contractors should use only the finest products from the world’s leading paint manufacturers. Benjamin Moore, Glidden Professional, Sherwin Williams and others partnering with professional painters enable the conscientious painting contractor to select the perfect coating for any requirement. The house painting professionals should have the knowledge and experience to tailor products best suited to their client’s specific needs.
10. Why should I hire YOU for my painting project? Experienced painting contractors should be able to elaborate on what differentiates them from the competition. The use of the finest paints from premium paint manufacturers, how painters always apply paint products according to manufacturer specifications, and skilled, trained, and properly equipped painters treating customer’s property as if it was their own should be discussed at length. The potential customer should be given a variety of information to best assess quality, value, and craftsmanship, and thus make an informed decision.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Kevin Palmer is the owner of Kevin Palmer Painting Inc. in Simsbury, CT. His painting company provides the highest quality professional interior and exterior painting services in West Hartford, CT and surrounding Farmington Valley towns. He has authored numerous blog articles. In business since 1966, Kevin and his crew are knowledgeable and skilled in all aspects of interior and exterior painting projects.