How to Double Your Sales Appointments in Half the Time; Part 2
Why is ‘Setting Sales Appointments’ a Critical Sales Performance Competency and How Do You Build a Prospecting System to Set More Sales Appointments in Less Time?
In Part 1, we summarized that you may have the best service in the world and the best widget in its category. But if you can't physically get in front of your targeted business prospects on a routine basis you won’t meet your revenue objectives.
And we discussed these (3) realities:
So logically, sales organizations should be willing to develop and provide ‘Best Practice’ support systems to their sales teams for ‘Measurable’ performance results in line with effectively setting sales appointments.
Why is a Conversation-to-Appointment Ratio a core sales competency?
In this case, it is to introduce and education the value of your product or service to a specific individual or group. It initiates your selling process. It doesn't matter if you are having this conversation by telephone, cold-calling in person, on elevators, or just yelling from one rooftop to another; it is a communication skill set that is essential to your sales success. It’s what you say and how you say it.
Is it an essential component to the sales mission or is it just an ingredient in the recipe?
How about a basketball player with the essential competencies of passing, dribbling, and shooting?
You must be able to be measure it routinely and accurately. Ask yourself if you could measure it with a napkin, pencil, and calculator?
Because at the end of the day, it’s the individual (Or the team) with the best overall stats that wins.
You should be able to apply "Timely Training" and "Powerful Routines" around each core competency.
But most importantly…"Timely Training" should be focused on only one key sales competency at a time.
As an example, when a prospect says “Just send me some information” we identify that communication as an objection. 95% of the time it’s a polite way of getting rid of us. Deep down inside we know what happens to the information. It goes in the ‘circular file’. Bottom line, it keeps both the Post Office and the office Janitor busy. One delivers these 'information requests' and the other one throws them out.
What’s your current ‘Powerful Routine’ to effectively communicate to a third solution, because none of us want to be in the ‘Postal’ Business.
Key Learning Point:
Take for example setting ‘Top-down’ business appointments. We’ve already decided it would be a benefit to our sales success if we could reduce the time it took to achieve the necessary number of ‘Top-down’ appointments.
In building an effective learning system to improve your Conversation-to-appointment ratio from the national average of 4-18%, you must first understand why that competency ratio is only 4-18%.
With that in mind, here’s what I know to be true:
1. We don’t seek to first (Before we pick up the telephone) understand the Prospect’s internal business objectives parallel to our solutions offering, then model our appointment approach around it
2. We settle for a business level of contact that has no direct fiscal authority
3. We sell our ‘product/service’ instead of selling the diagnostic steps in our ‘Evaluation’ Process
4. We fail to develop an effective Call to Action; strategic words and phrases that create a positive 'visual' reference to the Prospect of what happens during the initial appointment and how long it takes
5. We don’t support our ‘Call to Action’ with 3rd party valuators parallel to the Prospects business objectives; valuators like business statistics, appointment performance ratios, ROI figures and relevant success stories
6. We fail to visually ‘take the risk out’ in case they find that we are wasting their time once we’re in the door
These (6) ‘Here’s What I Know to be True’ factors are where you should begin your sales prospecting and sales performance improvement journey, because the definition of insanity is doing the same old thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
In Part 3 of ‘How to Double Your Sales Appointments in Half the Time’, we will take an in depth look at these 6 failure factors and flip them 180% into individual powerful routines to effectively set more ‘Top-down’ business appointments in less time.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jeff Hardesty: www.convertmoresales.com