Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint Articles
Tuesday, September 21, 2021
 
Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint ArticlesRegisterAll CategoriesTop AuthorsSubmit Article (Article Submission)ContactSubscribe Free Articles, Free Web Content, Reprint Articles
 

High Protein Diets for Muscle Building

High protein diets have become popular for weight loss in the past decade or so.  What many people fail to realize is that bodybuilders and recreational weight lifters have been touting their benefits...

High protein diets have become popular for weight loss in the past decade or so.  What many people fail to realize is that bodybuilders and recreational weight lifters have been touting their benefits for years.

High protein diets typically call for about 30% of your daily caloric intake from protein.  Depending on the diet the other 70% of your calories may come from primarily carbohydrates, fats, or a combination of the two.

There are three main benefits to having a high protein intake:

1. Supplies the amino acids your body needs to build muscle. 

Since muscle is made up largely of protein, it makes sense that you need protein to build additional muscle.  As the muscle fibers tear during weight lifting or other exercise, the body must repair these torn fibers with the amino acids which make-up protein.  By repairing these muscle fibers you not only build bigger and stronger muscle, but also increase your metabolic rate, which helps to keep off fat.

2. The calories in protein replace calories from other sources.

A meal high in protein tends to make you feel full faster and for longer after the meal than a meal of primarily carbohydrates.  This prevents you from eating as many calories as you normally would if you were consuming a lower protein diet without feeling hungry.

3. Protein takes more energy to digest and convert to energy than carbs or fats.

Converting 1 gram of protein to energy that your body can use requires a lot of energy in itself.  This is known as the “Thermic Effect.”  The Thermic Effect is much higher for protein than it is for either fat or carbs.  So when we consume 100 calories from protein the net result is actually much less than that.

Summary

High protein diets are safe for nearly everyone, except those with kidney or liver problems, or those with gout.  If you are unsure of the safety of high protein diets for your particular situation, check with your doctor before making any dietary changes.

Keep in mind that high-protein diets are not magical, but they do offer some distinct benefits over low-protein diets.  High protein diets typically call for around 30% of your caloric intake from protein.  Going beyond this number will likely not help you to gain more muscle, but it may help to accelerate your fat loss slightly.  It is important to remember that there are other nutrients that are crucial to consume.  Things like vitamins, minerals, phytochemicalsHealth Fitness Articles, and essential fatty acids need to be consumed daily.  Make sure not to take your protein intake so high that you are not taking-in ample amounts of these and other nutrients.

For best results you should combine your nutrition program with a well-designed training and supplementation program.

Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com

ABOUT THE AUTHOR


Learn more about muscle building nutrition and get a FREE muscle building report on “The 13 Reasons You Suck at Gaining Muscle.”



Health
Business
Finance
Travel
Technology
Home Repair
Computers
Marketing
Autos
Education
Entertainment
Family
Law
Other
Communication
ECommerce
Sports
Home Business
Internet
Self Help
Partners


Page loaded in 0.121 seconds