Equine Insurance

Feb 21 21:57 2007 Ron Petracek Print This Article

Whether you are the owner of a single horse, the proprietor of a boarding stable, or a horse trainer, chances are you should be protected by equine insurance. The question is, what type of insurance do you need, and how much? We've outlined several different types of equine insurance below. Before making any final decisions, always consult with your insurance agent and/or your lawyer to determine the type and amount of coverage you need.

Individual Horse Owner's Liability

If you are an individual horse owner,Guest Posting it is important to be covered for any property or bodily damage that you horse might cause. Sometimes your homeowner's policy will cover damages caused by your horse, so check your policy carefully. If your policy does not cover these things, contact an equine insurer to determine what types of additional coverage you need. How much do you need? That depends on your situation and your agent, or a lawyer, can help you. A good rule of thumb is the more personal assets you have, the more coverage you need. Coverage should include the promise to pay all sums you are legally obligated to pay for bodily injury and property damage arising from horse ownership, plus the cost to defend you.

Commercial Equine Liability

Commercial liability is needed by those who perform any commercial equine activities such as boarding, instruction, training, and breeding. This coverage protects you in the case you are sued by a third party who is injured or whose property is damaged. As any damage that exceeds your policy limits will come out of your personal assets. Again, the more personal assets you have, the more coverage you need.

Equine Professional Liability Coverage

If you derive any income from horses, this type of insurance provides coverage and defense fees resulting from any negligent act, error, or omission by the insured's professional equine activities.


This is the type of insurance that can be most confusing to the horse owner. Whether or not to insure your horse, and for how much, basically boils down to how much you need the horse, whether you can afford to replace him, and your risk tolerance. If your horse is a source of revenue to you, chances are you will want to insure him for his full value. In contrast, you may be able to afford to replace your beloved family pleasure horse (we're talking money here, not emotionally!) and insuring this horse might not be worth the premiums. A mortality policy pays the actual value of the horse at the time of the accident or illness causing the horse's death, not to exceed the value specified in the policy.

Major Medical

This type of insurance is available to horses insured for mortality. Major medical insurance reimburses the veterinarian's fees for surgery, major illness, and disease. Because these things can be quite expensive, major medical is worth it to the horse owner without a lot of cash on hand. Deductible and per year limits vary by policy.

Loss of Use

This is an important type of insurance for those who use their horses for livelihood. It covers you in the case that your horse becomes totally and permanently incapable of fulfilling the functions for which it is used. Most policies pay a percentage of the horse's value when it has been determined that it can not be used in the way stated on the policy. Many policies reserve the right to take the animal upon payment. Other policies pay a percentage but still allow you to keep your horse.

These are some of the more common types of insurance available to horse owners. For insurance tailored to your specific individual or business needs, contact an equine insurance specialist.

Source: Free Guest Posting Articles from ArticlesFactory.com

About Article Author

Ron Petracek
Ron Petracek

Ron Petracek - Equine Article DirectorHttp://www.theequinelot.comEquine Forums,Classifieds,Businesses "Three Minutes or Less to Equine Success"

View More Articles