If You've Been Hurt By a Drunk Driver You May Need a Lawyer

Oct 5 07:39 2012 Ace Abbey Print This Article

If you've been hurt by a drunk driver, common sense would say that you should be fully compensated for your injuries. Unfortunately, the real world doesn't always work this way. Here's why you may need a lawyer.

Driving under the influence is a serious offense and one would expect that,Guest Posting as part of our justice system, an attempt would be made to ensure that victims are taken care of properly. Unfortunately, the real world doesn't always work this way. Getting damages can be tricky. Even when the facts are clear and the negligence is obvious, the outcome of your case against the offending party is far from certain.

Steps to Take
After you've been hurt by a drunk driver, your first step will obviously be to get any medical attention you may require. Your second step will be to look at what you might be owed by the offending party, or their insurance company. It seems like this would a clearcut case. You have medical bills and vehicle damage that needs to be paid for. You may have lost wages. In the worst of cases, you may never be able to work again. But the insurance company isn't going to write you a blank check. They aren't going to give you a penny more than they feel they can get away with offering. In many cases, this simply isn't enough money.

Filing Suit
One area an insurance company will never enter into unless forced is the tricky field of punitive damages. The person who willingly got behind the wheel after having too many beers is not going to call you up and offer you six figures because they feel they should be punished for what happened. But the courts may well feel that punitive damages are called for. Unfortunately, many states have done away with punitive damages, which means you'll only be able to sue for material damages, such as medical bills and lost wages.

Finding a Lawyer
This isn't the kind of legal endeavor you want to take on yourself. Insurance companies are well practiced in the art of settlements and negotiations and you are unlikely to maximize your settlement by handling the case yourself. If you've been hurt by a drunk driver, you need a lawyer with experience in the field, someone who has been out on the front lines for years, getting civil court justice for victims like you. Get what you are owed.

Source: Free Guest Posting Articles from ArticlesFactory.com

  Article "tagged" as:

About Article Author

Ace Abbey
Ace Abbey

If someone you know has been hurt by a drunk driver in atlanta, get more information at http://www.christophersimon.com.

View More Articles