Consider Waterproofing to Avoid Mold

Jul 19 08:10 2011 Aaliyah Arthur Print This Article

While waterproofing serves many purposes, perhaps the primary purpose is to preserve your family's health. Breathing in mold spores contributes to many health problems.

Of the many reasons waterproofing your home can be advantageous for your health,Guest Posting avoiding mold may be the primary motivation. Sure, a flooded basement can be a pain, as can rotting wood, but those issues affect only things, not people. The greatest danger caused by excess moisture in your home relates to health problems caused by mold, making the #1 reason for waterproofing something more valuable than money or even your home: Your family’s health is at stake.

In order to understand why mold is dangerous, it may be helpful to first understand why and how it grows. In the great outdoors, molds have a helpful role: They aid in breaking down decaying items such as dead trees or rotting fruit. Water helps the mold to reproduce and grow, through tiny spires that float through the air. In order for mold spores to land on surfaces and grow, the surfaces must be wet. Once mold begins to grow on moist surfaces, more mold spores are released into the air. In outdoor areas, this issue is less problematic than confined, indoor areas, where the air is contained. 

While no one would consider eating moldy food or serving it to their families, many people put themselves and others at risk by promoting mold growth and breathing of excess mold spores in their home environments. 

Even though you can’t see airborne mold spores without a microscope, many people can sense their presence in other ways, since they produce allergens. Allergic reactions such as red, itchy eyes, runny noses or sneezing, or a skin rash, may occur either immediately upon contact or after prolonged inhalation of the spores. Breathing in mold spores may also prompt asthma attacks in those with asthma who are also allergic to mold. In addition, molds produce mycotoxins, which are potentially toxic. Over time, breathing in large amounts of mold spores can cause health issues even for non-asthmatic, non-allergic people. In fact, extreme cases of prolonged exposure to mold can result in lung disease and ultimately, death.

Not all mold spores can be eliminated, but mold growth is usually preventable through controlled moisture levels. If you notice mold growth, it must be cleaned up, immediately; however, if you fail to address the moisture issue that contributed to the mold growth, to begin with, then you will almost certainly have a repeat issue.

Basements have a natural tendency toward dampness, and they often become havens for mold. The more potential areas to harbor the mold, the worse the problem can become. For instance, if you have a finished basement, complete with carpet and drywall, those fibers can trap moisture and begin mold growth that you can’t even see. In order to avoid such issues, carefully waterproofing your basement before finishing it off is key. Thorough waterproofing includes proper drainage, a quality sump pump, dehumidifiers, a pre-finished wall system, and epoxy-painted flooring. And if flooding does occur, immediately drying out any wet items or replacing them is important, too.

Understanding mold growth and the dangers it can bring serves as the primary argument for waterproofing your home.

Source: Free Guest Posting Articles from ArticlesFactory.com

  Article "tagged" as:
  Categories:

About Article Author

Aaliyah Arthur
Aaliyah Arthur

When seeking a reputable specialist that excels at waterproofing Greenville SC residents can start their search by visiting http://www.sealingagents-asheville.com/.

View More Articles