The Origins of Our Attitudes: A Comprehensive Analysis

Jan 2


Craig Lock

Craig Lock

  • Share this article on Facebook
  • Share this article on Twitter
  • Share this article on Linkedin

This article delves into the complex origins of our attitudes, exploring the roles of heredity, family environment, and life experiences. It also provides insights on how to cultivate a positive attitude and the impact of attitude on success.

The Formation of Attitudes: A Tripartite Approach

Our attitudes are shaped by a combination of heredity,The Origins of Our Attitudes: A Comprehensive Analysis Articles family environment, and life experiences. While our genes play a role, the family environment, particularly during our formative years up to the age of seven, is crucial. Our life experiences and events, whether joyful or traumatic, also significantly influence our attitudes. There are three key areas where attitudes are formed:

  • Belonging: This sense is developed even before birth. The emotional environment in the womb can influence our sense of security or insecurity in later life.

  • Worth: Our immediate family during early childhood instills in us a sense of worth. Their expectations play a significant role in shaping our life script.

  • Competence: This sense also originates from the family environment. Constant encouragement and praise are essential for children to develop a positive sense of competence.

The Power of Attitude in Achieving Success

The importance of attitude in achieving success is well-documented. For instance, Golda Meier, a former Prime Minister of Israel, attributed the success of her small, resource-poor country against the united Arab armies to the spirit of its people. Similarly, the top salesman for Bell telephones in America, a quadriplegic, attributes his success to his attitude and perseverance. According to research from Stanford University, success is 87.5% a result of attitudes, with skills, abilities, and knowledge making up the remaining 12.5%.

Cultivating the Right Attitude: A Step-by-Step Guide

Cultivating the right attitude is a process that involves several steps:

  • Share your personal goals and dreams with a positive close friend.
  • Surround yourself with successful and enthusiastic people.
  • Choose a role model to emulate.
  • Learn from your mistakes and savor successful experiences.
  • Anticipate positive outcomes and rehearse them in your mind.
  • Make the most of any situation and avoid self-pity.
  • Be persistent and adaptable to change.
  • Keep things in perspective and believe in yourself.

The Impact of Attitude on Destiny and Success

Our attitude significantly influences our destiny and success. It determines our resilience in the face of adversity and our ability to bounce back from failures. Successful people, from Christopher Columbus to Abraham Lincoln, have demonstrated the power of a positive attitude in overcoming challenges and achieving greatness.

In conclusion, our attitudes are shaped by a complex interplay of heredity, family environment, and life experiences. Cultivating a positive attitude is crucial for success, and with the right attitude, we can overcome any obstacle and achieve our goals.