How to Tackle Barriers in Getting NRI Single Status Certificate India

Apr 28


Kim Gill

Kim Gill

  • Share this article on Facebook
  • Share this article on Twitter
  • Share this article on Linkedin

Single status certificate India is the must-have document for NRIs. Anyone from the Indian diaspora may obtain it from any Indian court directly or he/she can ring to relatives or lawyers for the same. Consular offices are abandoned from the right of issuing it. But eventually, it is sent to apostilled department there.


The path of marriage abroad may not be the bed of roses. Foreign constitutions and their legal guidelines don’t allow an individual from foreign community to breach them. Safeguarding the natives from frauds is the prime concern for every government. Thus,How to Tackle Barriers in Getting NRI Single Status Certificate India Articles solemnizing marriage is made not a walkover there.

Indian diaspora is scattered across the globe. Many of the non-residents of India (NRIs) intend to settle there. And establishing relations with the foreign blood is a common practice. But obstacles interrupt their ways. This article is dedicated to NRI single status certificate India specifically.

Let’s catch the barriers and how to kick them out.

Hurdles with solutions for wedding of NRIs abroad:

Is it possible to obtain single status certificate from Embassy?

Well, it does not fall in the services of Consular or Embassy services. Para 10(i) of the Consular Manual’s Chapter 4 (1983) states its denial clearly. The law has empowered the courts in India. The legal right to issue No Objection Certificate or Bachelorhood Certificate is reserved to the legal bodies of court. If you desire to obtain such legal and proven declaration, visit them.

Solution: When the request of the applicant is granted by the legal bodies, eventually, his/her documents are apostilled in the Consular section of the Ministry of External Affairs, Patiala House in New Delhi. Thereafter, he/she can submit it to any other authority abroad.

Lacking information: Having no information about the bachelorhood certificate is the very first hurdle in marriage abroad. Actually, Section 7 of the Hindu Marriage Act (1955) allows Hindu community to tie nuptial knot in ceremonies and with customs of marriage. The spouses circumvent the sacred fired amid chanting of mantras.

But Section 8 of the similar act permits state government to mandate the registration of marriage by both parties. If so is done, the couple gets recognition wrapped in the legal marriage certificate. Future is unknown. Who knows the need for claiming alimony may arise in later years!

Solution: Philippines, UK, USA and many other countries seek certificate of single status. Thus, NRIs should solemnize their wedding in India. Here, no such compulsion is requisite. But yes, you need to showcase your marriage certificate abroad if you intend to settle there post wedding.

On the contrary, if your intensions emphasize on wedding outside the country, apply for single status certificate first. Consular office or its online services has oodles of information about how to get it. You can check its pan procedure from there.

What documents are essentially required to submit?

As per my research, people of India are to submit:

  • A 100-rupee stamp paper, stating name, address, DOB and state 
  • Notarize it. 
  • Get it attested from the SDM or state ministry. (This service is at hand across the states) 
  • Subsequently, it is sent to Home Department’s Appostille office for getting its stamp. (Finally, it is forwarded to Patiala House Court in New Delhi.)

For Indian community in foreign, the same procedure will be followed. But if physical presence would not be possible, you can appoint a lawyer/ friend/ relatives to favour you.

Online lawyer and immigration services online are alternative options for the same. But here, authenticity might be unproven. So, beware of it!

Source: Free Guest Posting Articles from